Ideas for island in circular driveway

ishcor2000August 27, 2009

Hi all, looking for ideas and opinions on my island in my circular driveway. We just moved into this house this spring and haven't done too much with it this year as we've been pretty busy, but want to make it more exciting next Spring. We are fairly new at landscaping yet and this area is pretty 'big' to us, so we like to stick with beginner/intermediate landscaping ideas. lol

Some of my ideas were to incorporate a vegetable garden in the island since it's kinda big. Maybe start asparagus crop in there for example?

Another idea I had was to put some patio pavers going across the island or some sort of walkway across.

What do u guys think of those ideas or any other ideas?

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pmartin

I was so happy to see your post...I too have an island in the middle of my circle drive, directly in front of our house. I was ready to get working on the front walkway to the house but realized the center island has to be done first to see if it would block the view for guests to see where the walk to the front step is.
I was out there moving shrubs that I already have to see how I am going to design it. I have a large cement fountain that I am putting in mine and working around that. I want to use bigger boulders (like 2'w X 2'h) strategically placed around the perimeter and maybe a few on the interior. In previous years we have placed a spruce in there at christmas, DH ran wire underground so I could put xmas lights on it. It will now run the fountain.

I will be following your post closely and hopefully getting some help too.

Bookmark   August 27, 2009 at 4:52PM
karinl(BC Z8)

There are some old threads on "driveway circles" that you may find helpful - you could do a search for the term in this forum. In the one I've linked below, look for Laag's post and click the link he provides. May not be the right style for your more rustic setting, but might expand the scope of ideas you consider.

KarinL

Here is a link that might be useful: Driveway circle thread

Bookmark   August 28, 2009 at 2:11AM
ishcor2000

Thanks for the tip Karin. That circle that Laag has in his post looks really cool. I wonder how difficult it is to lay those stone paver type things down.
I'll try more searches on here for more ideas.
Thanks

Bookmark   August 28, 2009 at 10:27AM
tlcarroll_bellsouth_net

I just put a circular drive in need ideas for plantains would like to keep it tropical with palms blooming flowers and shrubs, I live in gulf breeze floridia, in the panhandle

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 8:19PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Teri, you'll get more responses if you start a new thread. If possible, you should post a photo showing a street view of the house and yard.

I've never lived in Florida and can't advise about plants, but other members will.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 9:20PM
More Discussions
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
Where can I find buyers for these large boulders?
Hi we are thinking to re-landscape our yard. The previous...
fggirl
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
Drainage issues!
Hoping the drainage experts can contribute. We have...
mrsgoss
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™