Planting under a Cherry Tree

MsKitty31(4)August 9, 2012

I wanted to make a flower bed under an old cherry tree. I was going to use flat stone for the border of the garden and then fill it with some good soil and mulch and add my plants. Now I am thinking this is a bad idea for the tree. I don't want kill it by covering up the roots and am thinking maybe I should just forget this.

There are some old lilac bushes here, which I do not mind, but there are tons of weeds and never ending vines growing through the lilac making it a nasty tangled mess. As you can see I have already started to remove a good portion of the lilac bushes and weeds. I do not believe I ran into any tree roots in this process but I could be wrong. Our soil is sandy so I am not sure if the roots would be deeper in the ground than with clay soil.

The ground goes up to the tree and is not even throughout the area so I would have to add more soil to the left and less as I approached the tree. If I shouldn't do the garden I would like to at least even up the ground, if I can do it without hurting the tree, and plant grass.

Honestly, with all the crap that was growing there I am not sure I can get rid of enough of it to plant grass and not have it poking back up. I don't know what to do with this spot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MsKitty31(4)

Another picture.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 3:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MsKitty31(4)

It was mentioned to me by a friend of mine that maybe adding some soil to even the plane out wouldn't harm the tree due to the fact that I would only be adding soil to approx. 1/4th of the root system?

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 11:53AM
More Discussions
Issue with Retainer Wall, fixable or redo?
Hi, first time posting here. I'm looking for advice...
John Turner
New construction landscaping
I am looking for any suggestions for low maintenance...
lauracrawford28
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
Help! My new front yard is UGLY! Any ideas appreciated!
Do I keep the stone flower bed edge? I was told it...
amynatashahowell
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
Sponsored Products
Kys Flowerpot
| Dot & Bo
Fosters Point Urn With Assorted Balls Feather Grass
Beyond Stores
Levelo Outdoor Art
Grandin Road
Silk Boston Fern Plant with Wood Vase
Overstock.com
Malibu Flood Lights. Low Voltage Sand Flood Light
$22.97 | Home Depot
Perennial Tub Mat - SAND(MED BROWN) (BATH MAT)
$39.90 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™