proper plants for poolside garden

ssparayAugust 22, 2012

I have an above ground pool, and I want to plant some shade trees near it, to provide a bit of shade from the Oklahoma summer sun. Since the pools are 4 to 5 feet tall, I will need to plant a fairly tall tree to provide some shade, but I don't want one that is going to constantly be dropping leaves/seeds/bark into my pool. I know I'll need to get a sapling, seeing as I'm wanting to have this completed and have some shade by next summer. The pool I have is like the ones listed here. Does anybody have a suggestion as to what trees/shrubs I should plant? Remember, I'm in the middle of Oklahoma City.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

Are you trying to screen sunlight over the water itself, or over an adjacent deck area? While some trees are known to drop a lot of trash, all trees drop some trash some time. So placing one where foliage grows over water is asking for it. When I think of 'cleaner' trees, Japanese Maple comes to mind, but it's not exactly known for fast growing shade. It makes nice shade, but it takes a while. Though it's not an answer to the question you asked, shade from a manufactured source (shade sail, etc.) would probably be a better solution for shade near or over a pool. And it could happen much more quickly.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 8:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ssparay

Good ideas. I would like natural shade, but it's going to take awhile to grow a tree to the proper height. I love the look of Japanese Maples, so I might try that, and just keep it at a safe distance from the pool to minimize trash.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Help with frontyard design changes
Hi, I’m in the process of replacing turf in my front...
quikslvr0017
Raised Garden Bed Construction Help
Hello Everyone! What wonderful help! I've built about...
Garden Chickee
Need landscaping ideas for new home please
Hello everyone. We moved into our new build in November....
chloenkitty
Landscape Designer or Landscape Architect?
Can anyone tell me what is the difference? I am considering...
forensicmom
Front yard design help
Looking to finally put some plants in the front yard....
Matt Johnston
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™