Sitting area under oaks - what to use for 'floor'?

pam29011August 26, 2010

We have spent the better part of today cutting down a slew of little trees and now I can see the big oaks in our yard even better. I was standing between 2 of them that are about 20' apart and thought it would be a great place for a patio or someplace to have some chairs.

The oaks in question are over 3' in diameter and seem really healthy. Whatever I use as a floor under the chairs needs to be tree-root friendly and nonmuddy (bare earth won't work). I thought about gravel, but these trees will drop a TON of leaves & acorns in the fall, so ideally it would be something I can rake leaves off of and gravel gets messy.

If it helps, here's some background on the yard:

2/3 of an acre

Currently densely wooded with a mix of tall skinny trees and massive ones, plan is to remove all skinny trees and keep the big ones.

Behind our yard is a wooded buffer then a farm (real, live, operating farm)

Grand plans (aside from removing several dozen skinny trees) is to underplant with white dogwood and mountain laurel in the shady parts of the yard to keep it feeling like a natural woodland and feed local critters.

Removing skinny trees should open the canopy enough that I can grow veggies in one part of the yard to feed us.

backyard faces due South.

Other residents in the house include a dog and a cat who are fully fenced in (yes, even the cat can't escape, it's Alcatraz back there).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Pam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
isabella__MA(z5_MA)

Well if your oaks are anything like mine the last few years... you could carpet the area between them with acorns! Anything like mulch, sand, or gravel will eventually grow tons of tiny oak trees.

A raised deck might meet your needs... no rooting medium, root friendly and sweepable.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 6:32PM
lazy_gardens

Oaks are VERY sensitive to changes around their roots.

Anything that doesn't take a lot of fill or compacting ... a low wooden deck on extremely short piers would work.

Then plant a few dogwoods near the deck for screening.

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 6:38PM
pam29011

Thanks, Isabella_MA and lazygardens!

Lazygardens - quick question. You write that oaks are sensitive to changes around their roots. Do you think they'd be harmed if I used some gravel to level the area for a low wooden deck? Of all the options (deck, patio, mulch) I like a deck best. It warms up quicker in the spring under your feet & just feels cleaner than the other options (again, thinking about walking on it barefooted).

I'm thinking gravel b/c if I use a thin layer of gravel (2" - 4") I can set PT 4x6 beams in place & lay decking over them directly. No footings, no piers. So it would be close to the ground & wouldn't dig near any roots, but it would add the weight of the gravel (and the deck) to the roots.

Understanding your limits as a garden psychic (IOW - if you're wrong I won't come blaming you) - do you think the oak trees would be okay with that? Or are they more likely to get sick and/or stressed?

Thanks in advance,
-Pam

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 11:46PM
lazy_gardens

"Do you think they'd be harmed if I used some gravel to level the area for a low wooden deck?"

Depends on the species, but I wouldn't risk it. Your idea of "sleepers" on gravel will mess with the drainage under there. And the sleepers will rot quickly.

You don't need to level the ground - you just need to level the tops of the piers, put crossbeams between piers and add the deck boards. If a pier is in a low spot it will stick out of the ground more than if its in a high spot, but you don't see that under the deck boards.

Home Depot sells "deck footings" or "deck piers) you can bolt your deck framework to - just dig enough of a hole to make them level and plop them in.

Look up "building a ground-level deck" and just ignore the part about leveling the ground.

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 9:25AM
pam29011

Thanks! I think that is what I will do. You're right, I had forgotten about the deck piers for a floating deck. I can keep the overall height pretty low that way & won't disturb much soil (or roots).

-Pam

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 9:48AM
reyesuela(z7a)

Eh. I'd just use mulch and snip all the babies at the ground once a year.

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 6:57PM
More Discussions
Landscaping ideas - Need help with suggestions of plants please
We would like to seek help in filling our concrete...
stinerantsen
scary house help
Trying to help someone with this- yipes. I'm thinking...
hightide102
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
light green leaf tree
Looking for a bright green leaf small/medium sized...
guatnut
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Momeni Rugs Luster Shag Apple Green 2 ft. x 3
$48.97 | Home Depot
Pierced Bone China Ginger Jar Night Light Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Furniture of America Lisle Dark Espresso Counter-height Stool (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Path Dining Chair Set of 4 in White
$229.00 | LexMod
Milano 10-piece Patio Furniture Set
Overstock.com
Polka Dot Pink Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
AHB Vera Bar Stool - 111152
$259.95 | Hayneedle
Oak Leaf Pedestal Birdbath
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™