need to redesign backyard

ratherbeknittingAugust 22, 2010

Hi All,

We need to replace the cracked cement patio in our backyard in addition to building a fence. For economy, we are thinking about installing cement pavers and an aluminum fence. Primarily we want to fence in the patio along with a few small beds. We are not going to change the footprint of the deck but are not adverse to moving the steps or re cladding the area under the deck (the posts are in good shape, but the cladding is rotten in places). We are flummoxed as to how this should all be laid out. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jen

Here's some photos of how it currently looks:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of backyard

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

RBK,

Where is your property line? Is the fence to be on posts with pickets? Where does the drainage water move? Aloha

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 8:47PM
ideasshare(z6)

Sorry,your other's pics can't share.your patio is some small,maybe add a area under the stair to plant shadow shrub----azalea...

Here is a link that might be useful: if need other pic's designing

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 9:09PM
ratherbeknitting

Hey thanks for your feedback!

Lehual3--Yes we are looking at picket fences. We are thinking about getting a "puppy" fence like this because we have small dogs. (see link at the bottom of the post)
The water drains away from the house (we live on the side of a steep hillside). Our contractor talked about burying the downspout. I'm not sure as to why this needs to be done though. Our property line is just beyond the pathway. Our backyard actually goes pretty far back but it is steep and heavily wooded.

IdeasShare--Cool pic! Actually one of the contractors we talked to suggested replacing the cement under the stairs with a pathway. We were thinking it would be cool to have the pathway lead to a gate. The stairs are quite wide and long. It has also been suggested to us that we move them but we are not sure where we'd like them.

Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: Fence we are considering

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
Landscape advice for front yard please!
We have just moved into a house in SoCal - zone 10...
glitzalicious
Small Tree Suggestions
I have a 20 x 20 concrete patio that I'd like to put...
kristinainaustin
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™