Help! Reclaiming asphalt driveway.
I'm a new member looking for urgently needed help in my attempts to reclaim some of my long asphalt driveway to make more space for gardens!
You'll see in this photo what I've done so far: reclaimed an old car-port as a gazebo and built raised cedar beds (including one with lattice that will double as a privacy screen).
My issue is how to cover the asphalt between the raised beds and beside the house with some kind of path. Considerations are:
- Needs to look good and be foot-friendly. Also needs to accommodate the occasional trip by a wheelbarrow or composte bin, since this is my only way from front to back yards
- Needs some kind of divider b/w the flagstone and the asphalt at one end and the asphalt and the asphalt at the other end if I'm going to use any kind of loose material. This is my biggest issue, since right now the surfaces are all flush.
- Needs to make a nice "entrance" to the garden area from the driveway - will be very visible from the approach to the house.
- Needs to go on easily over top of cracked and uneven asphalt
- Needs to be easy and (very) affordable.
I am leaning towards mulch of some kind since I love the look and I think it will really make this area feel more like a garden...but I have no idea what kind of edging or border I could get that would look good, that I could get over with a wheelbarrow, and that would hold the mulch in place.
Please help!!! All suggestions most welcome...