plants in flats not doing good

strawberryjohnjohnMay 10, 2012

I started 14 flats of everything from cabbage to tomatoes. About 25% of the plants are rotting at their base where the plant meets the soil and falling over dead. How do I stop this and what can I do in the future to stop this from happening. I started with new, clean 72 cell flats, out of the bag starter soil, and out of the packet seeds. Please help!!! JOHN

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
booberry85(5)

It sounds like damping off, a fungal disease. It happens when seedlings are warm and wet. Best things to do: get a fan for air flow and have it gently blow on the seedlings. Also water plants from the bottom not from the top. I also use a fungal spray (Safer 3 in 1) on my seedlings. Use it sparingly on seedlings. You don't want to overwhelm the seedlings with a fungicide.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 12:23PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree it is damp-off. Usually only thrives when the soil is being consistently kept too wet and there is lack of air circulation.

You'll find a good FAQ on Damping-off with all the details over on the Growing from Seed forum here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed forum

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 2:56PM
strawberryjohnjohn

THANK YOU Becky and Dave JOHN

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 10:17AM
baseball9(5)

You didn't say how big these plants were. Damping off happens when they are small seedlings, an inch or 2, less commonly when they are bigger.

If these are more mature plants past the seedling stage, it could be due to overwatering or overfertilizing or not transplanting before they get rootbound.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™