Dyna Gro and Azalea

fredmanNovember 10, 2013

Hi All. I use Dyna Gro for all my containers with great success. I recently stated growing Satsuki Azaleas and want to feed them Dyna Gro too. Because they need a specific acid type fertilizer and I don't see anything in the Dyna Gro range for Azaleas i'm thinking to add some acidifier. Will vinegar be sufficient ? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated thanks...!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

Azaleas don't need acidic-tending fertilizer per se, but they do need a pretty acidic growing medium in terms of pH. The acidic fertilizers help get to that lower pH.

In order to help your azaleas thrive, you have to take measures to keep the container soil pH down lower than 5.5. If you can afford it, I'd water them with distilled water (or rain water is you live in a rainy area and can collect) and a weak solution of Dyna-Gro Foliage-Pro. If you need to use tap water, add vinegar until the water pH is under 5.5. Then add your liquid fertilizer.

You should go to your county's website and find out your water source's characteristics from their annual report. Look for pH and alkalinity. If they are high, you really can't water your azaleas with that tap without modifying the water first.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™