Asperagus beetles

kpc2912(7)May 3, 2012

Does anyone know how to kill asperagus beetles without pesticides? I sprayed them with homemade insecticidal soap, 3 TBS dish soap to 1 gallon water. They laughed at me. Next I boiled 6 cloves garlic and 7 hot peppers in 1 QT water. It was potent stuff because I got a nose full of it. I sprayed the beeltes and asperagus directly. once again they laughed at me and are still living. I dont want to use any pesticide becaue i raise honeybees. What can I do? Does anyone have an effective recipe?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Just throwing stuff out at random here, because I use chemical controls, but perhaps diatomaceous earth to suffocate/dehydrate the larvae?

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 12:25PM
ltilton

Are honeybees feeding on your asparagus?

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 1:16PM
chas045(7b)

I'm with ltilton. I used Seven last year (first year with these beetles and they haven't shown up this year) and they were gone in a day. Asparagus is a long way from flowering before harvest time. I suppose one could arrange a plastic tent over the aspargus to prevent drifting while spraying. I used a kitchen spray bottle.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 4:15PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Asparagus beetles can usually just be hand picked off the ferns and squashed. They are easy to see and no chemicals needed. In bigger gus patches some of us use a vacuum to just suck them off.

Dave

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 4:37PM
jolj(7b/8a)

I/powders that harm bees, even wait till late afternoon, the bees will be home for the night.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 7:00PM
kpc2912(7)

Thanks everyone for replying to my problem. I finally decided to spray them with a combination of lemon juice, vinegar, and dish soap. It took a full day, but it killed all the larva and most of the beetles. I cant use Sevin as some of you suggested. any small amount could get on a bee and they carry it back to the hive. Dont need that. Thanks all for your help.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
Cucumber leaves turning white
Hi, I am totally new to having any sort of garden and...
wanderess
Pea eggplants or kittily
Has anyone ever grown pea eggplants or kittily? Or...
changingitup
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Looking for Actaea 'Black Negligee' seeds
Anybody has Avtaea 'Black Negliee' seeds for postage...
jennyleerskov
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™