Peacock Flower Iris

kensabodeNovember 30, 2010

I have several wooden boxes in a prominent location where I'm thinking of planting Peacock Flower Iris. The container capacity is about 6.5 cu.ft. with inside measurements of 21"x30"x18"deep, each box. Six boxes in a row. One plant per box for a sort of "screen hedge."

Good sun. Good air. Some wind. Automatic drip irrigation. About to plant now (early December) but some online info says plant in early Spring.

Is this a no-brainer success or failure? Please advise with any suggestions. Thx.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Am I the only one who does not know which Iris has the Peacock Flower? Al

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 8:21AM
kensabode

Oh sorry. It's just the label from the nursery that I jotted down. Google search reveals it to be Dietes bicolor (Dietes bicolor (Steud.) Sweet ex Klatt, Family: Iridaceae, Common names: Yellow Wild Iris or Peacock Flower (English), Uintjie or Poublom (Afrikaans)).

I'm not familiar with any of the iris for container planting.

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 12:35PM
calistoga_al

The Dietes would make an excellent plant for your boxes. It does gradually grow a bigger clump and in about 10 years would fit your box pretty well. I would start with about 3 per box and you can always thin them later when needed. The common name for Dietes is usually "fortnight lily" as it tends to bloom in two week cycles. Here without winter protection it will occasionally be frosted back and look bad for a while, in San Francisco that should not be a problem. Al

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™