4-8 yrs in organic mix with little PWT issues

fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TXNovember 18, 2011

Today I repotted blueberry that had been 8 yrs without repotting and a pluot that had 4 growing seasons in an organic mix.

This is the pluot that had grown enough roots to split the pot. Most of the roots were on the outer edge of the rootball.

The blueberry which yielded 15-18 lbs last year had roots much more evenly throughout the rootball.

There were no serious indications of issues with PWT although the blueberry did have fewer roots in the bottom than the top of the rootball. This is blueberry roots right above the bottom screen.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I should add that the mix I was using at the time was bagged premium potting mix. The kind that is mostly black peat, compost, and some sand. The soil still looked the same and could be resold if the roots were removed.

The pots were still accepting water very well and right down thru the center not just the edges. I'd estimate that they accepted about 10% by volume each morning before drainage and it all soaked in after about 15 seconds.

Yield last year was about 60 pluot and 15-18 lbs blueberry from ~12 gallons media.

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 10:49AM
joeworm

Fruitnut,

Can you post pics after you clean the root ball up and just before and then after you trim the root balls?

Curious to see the difference as I have never trimmed a root ball.

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 3:18PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

joe

Sorry I didn't take a picture of that step, in too big a hurry. But I just trimmed off about 2-3 inches on the sides and bottom and replanted in the same size pots. Wish now I hadn't done the blueberry because they were doing so well.

Repotting is very hard work, hard on my back. In the future I'm sticking to 3 gal for berries and 5 gal for fruit trees. I buy rootstocks every winter and bud on my favorite varieties. This is much easier than repotting for an old boy like me. I've been able to get at least three crops on trees and more on berries without repotting.

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 4:12PM
joeworm

I was thinking you would bare root them then repot.

Cutting a bit from the sides and bottom is easier.

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 6:24PM
emgardener

It does seem that organics work better in warmer, drier locations.

I could never make organics work well in SWCs where the soil is always wet. But now in a drip and drain container organics are working great for me.

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 8:47PM
More Discussions
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™