clarification with ingredients in Al's gritty mix

kawaiineko_gardener(5a)November 7, 2011

Pine or fir bark in 1/8 - 3/8" size (no fines)

Screened Turface MVP

Crushed granite (Gran-I-Grit, in grower size) or #2 cherrystone

gypsum

First off what is 'screened turface MVP'; I've never heard of it and I'm guessing that what is listed in the mix is an abbreviation.

Also what is '#2 cherrystone'. In reference to the granite, where can you find it, and does it come crushed, or do you have to crush it?

This is a really stupid question, but is gypsum the same as lime, or is it different. If so, how?

If so, what's the easiest method to crush it? How fine does it have to be (coarse, medium, small, a powder.....)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Here you go! This should answer everything!

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Search results:

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 12:07AM
groem(6)

the screened turface, is turface screened over a aluminum window screen, to get dust and small bits out. I think the #2 cherry stone, is the size of rock. Not sure on the cherry stone, but the grower grit (small rocks that are fed to chickens that they use to help grind up food)can be found at farm/ranch stores. Think rock a little bigger than a bb, or bigger than sand, but smaller than gravel. Gypsum and lime are not the same. Lime will bring ph up, gypsum does not have magnesium.

All this is what i have read on here, not much real exp, finding them all my self. good luck

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 11:11PM
redshirtcat(6a MO StL)

It might not matter to you but I've gotten away from using granite chips in my gritty mixes. It's fine for small to medium sized pots but when you have a 7-10 gallon pot 1/3 of which is granite it becomes backbreaking work to move them around. I have everything on rollers once they are inside but getting them inside at the end of the season is a painful experience (even with a dolly).

I use appropriately sized perlite, charcoal, or a combination of the 2 to take the place of granite chips. There was some talk of fluoride toxicity with too much perlite but I've not had any problems with my citrus trees.

There is an advantage to the weight - the trees in the granite never tip over even in high winds. It's a tradeoff I suppose.... protect the trees against the wind and save your back - or be lazy about possible wind tipping and break your back once a year.

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 11:25PM
More Discussions
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™