Pests on a tree outside, danger? W/ Pics

IrrelephantNovember 11, 2013

Through circumstances out of my control, I have to move to a small house a mile or two away from where I'm currently living. I would never leave my plants behind, so I've set aside a nice sunny room in this house for them. When it isn't winter, I love to keep the majority of my plants outside. However, there is a tree covered in some pest. It blankets one limb of the three so that you can only see white.

What are these pests?
What can I do to get rid of them?
Do I have to get rid of them? I'd rather not half my plants covered in little white crawlies.

This post was edited by Irrelephant on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 19:36

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Where are you located? What kind of tree is that? Are other trees and plants affected? My first impression from most of your photos was white flies, which are big trouble in my experience. But the second and last photos look more like wooly aphids to me. They don't usually cause a lot of damage and are usually only attracted to a single species, unlike white flies. You might google images of each pest to compare.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 8:28PM
Irrelephant

After googling it, it's not wooly aphid, and I don't think it's white fly. Arkansas, and I'll try to ID the tree next time I'm over there.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 9:53PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Can you contact a local county extension office or university horticultural program to ask what pests are in your area? I would be pretty nervous about putting my plants near those guys too. If they are confined to one tree (or kind of tree), you may want to consider removing it. In my experience, plants aren't often overwhelmed by a pest like that unless they are already weakened by other things like disease. Sorry I can't offer more specific advice. It's best to find out what they are before using any pesticide.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Raybo's 3-2-1 from scratch?
Hey guys this year will be my first time making and...
wakullagirl23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™