How far is too near for avoidance planting?

felin(8B)May 10, 2012

Last post didn't post up. Maybe I forgot to hit Send.

Can't find info ANYWHERE when Googling.

I know that Brassicas are not good around tomatoes, however, only area left in my garden to plant final variety of tomatoes is near Baby Pak Choi, however, I am wondering if I can still plant near that bed if I plant far enough away.

Might anyone know how far away I need to be safe??

That is the one thing that I cannot seem to find info on is distances in either companion or avoidance planting. Wish more authors would remember to add this info as I am somewhat of a newbie yet.

Thanks in advance!

Mindy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

I don't understand your concern. I have no problem with brassicas ( broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, radishes, turnips, rutabagas pak choi etc)planted next to tomatoes. Tomatoes can be big plants, but in warmer climates like mine brassicas are harvested before the tomato plants size up. Or in the case of fall planting brassicas go in as tomatoes plants are finishing up.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 1:04PM
weirdtrev

Safe? There is no danger. Lack of solid information should probably hint to you that nothing terrible will happen. Most places I've read say there is no ill effect, a small number of sites claim that the plants "repel" each other and won't be as vigorous. Whether you believe they stunt each others growth or not, the resulting crop won't be inedible or unfruitful. So plant away and find out for yourself what happens. That's half the fun of gardening, verifying or nullifying these kooky claims!

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 1:06PM
felin(8B)

I've only heard/read that they are both heavy feeders and one will rob the other of nutrients.

Well, guess this is like so many other things if life, health and gardening. There are opposing opinions out there everywhere which makes it really hard to decide on what is really true.

I do thank you for your feedback.

Mindy

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 2:16PM
socks

Mindy, that's the fun of gardening. Trying things and finding out for ourselves. There is no teacher like experience, so don't worry about avoidance planting. Just "do your thing" and learn. Have fun, and best wishes for a bountiful crop this summer.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 11:23AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

That is the one thing that I cannot seem to find info on is distances in either companion or avoidance planting. Wish more authors would remember to add this info as I am somewhat of a newbie yet.

Trev makes a good point. As you have discovered the info available on companion/avoidance planting is 'sketchy' at best. That is one reason why it has never been more than a passing fad in gardening. Another reason is because so little of its theories actually hold up in real practice.

Dave

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 4:25PM
jolj(7b/8a)

Yes they are heavy feeders, that mean add more compost.
Compost then Peas next year with other soil builders.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 7:49PM
felin(8B)

Thanks again to you all!

We went ahead and planted our San Marzano Tomatoes right smack next to our Baby Pak Choi.
Time will certainly tell us.
While, yes socks, you are absolutely right about learning by experience, I sure want to avoid the mistakes that I can as I'll make enough of my own. That has already been proven time and again. ha!
It really is so very amazing how polar opposite opinions are on this matter and from seemingly long-time gardeners.

Learning, learning.

Thanks all!!,

Mindy (and hubby John)

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 9:11AM
planatus(6)

The bok choy is going to bolt any day, so it's a moot question. Mine went last week. Heat-resistant leaf lettuce like Salad Bowl is the only thing I've found that likes to be anywhere near tomatoes.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 9:16AM
More Discussions
I really messed up, who can help? Tomato expert needed...
I planted beefsteak and July 4th tomatoes and didn't...
dwyerkg
mealybugs and leaf miners
How do you control mealy bugs and leaf miners on leafy...
kyrri
Too many seeds, not enough light
Right now, have basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary,...
ilovecucumbers
Greenland Gardener Raised Garden Kit
Picked up 2 of these from Walmart yesterday to grow...
onkloudnyne
Artichoke Failure, HELP!!!
I am in zone 7a, middle TN, and attempting to grow...
Trinacria
Sponsored Products
FROMA Cheese Slicer by Blomus
$30.59 | Lumens
MaxLite RKL45U5550DV LED RKL Retrofit Kit Strips, 5000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Millerd Petals Rug 8' x 10' - IVORY
$2,375.00 | Horchow
David Bromstad "Flowers in a Jar" Artwork IV
Grandin Road
Large Echeveria Set
$17.99 | zulily