advice needed for which plants to use

StevenKhaAugust 26, 2013

just need some advice on what would be some good choices of plants to use to place front of my house along the wall. I started to pull out some of the old ones , as u can see in pictures, but im not sure what should go there. a general idea, it would have to be evergreen, something that would stay green from ground to the top of the plant , not like old bushes. something that could be trimmed. Also, this side of house only sees late afternoon sun, so i guess no full sun plants. If this is in wrong forums, sorry. thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
StevenKha

another view

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:12PM
StevenKha

bushes you cant see, behind maple along other wall

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:13PM
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)

What part of the country? What zone?

It's difficult to provide relevant suggestions unless when know stuff like that.

Jim

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:34PM
StevenKha

oh sorry, norhteast, zone 6B

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 10:26PM
robo (z6a)

Yews and box woods can both be trimmed and are evergreen. Both tolerate part sun. Both may need some water from time to time, your existing yews look a little thirsty maybe? I could be wrong but doubt any evergreen is going to stay green to the ground tucked right in behind that lovely Japanese maple. And don't forget to trim them so that the top is slightly narrower than the bottom to promote light penetration and therefore fuller foliage below. In front you could put an evergreen Rhododendron but they don't like deep shade.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 7:51AM
yardvaark

i think it would look better if you simplify the overall scheme. You could eliminate the competitive, overlapping vertical shapes and arrange the layout to something bolder, but simpler. Can't tell what it is, but the shrub (if it is) at the right front looks like it might make, a nice, low-maintenance backdrop. If it is not suited, then look for something else that can be 3' x 3'.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 10:08AM
rosiew(8 GA)

I'd suggest removing the plants behind the maple and the conifer near the stoop. The maple is lovely now and will be very distinctive there in a short time. Find a low growing groundcover for the areas where you take out the shrubs.

HTH

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Huge commercial project behind me
Hi, all. The Deathstar has arrived-- that is, the 60,000...
demeron
Privacy for Small Yard - Help!
Hi All! First time poster - LONG TIME reader! I'm in...
rsislow
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™