Why yes, we are thrilled...

jubilanteAugust 7, 2014

Wouldn't you be excited about an addition to the neighbor's home on a permit they've had for 20 years? Silver lining is we haven't re-landscaped the backyard yet.

How would you work with this? Looking for something low maintenance, low water, legal. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stolenidentity

who's fence is it? I would put some really really tall trellis' on your side and then put bouganvilla all over the place. Also some trees that don't need much water.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 9:08PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Olive trees are drought tolerant, and they can grow pretty thick. There are some next to a cross street we drive, and they cause traffic hazards. Very hard to see through or around them. I don't know about Italian Cypress for drought, but they make a tall hedge.

Sorry for your misfortune.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 9:12AM
rosiew(8 GA)

Permits have an expiration date. They must have reapplied and gotten approval. Or maybe it wasn't permitted.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 5:07PM
yardvaark

... with a hedge of narrow, evergreen, juniper-like plants that will form a screen and grow 12' - 15' height.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 5:27PM
jubilante

So far we've thought of cypress, redwoods, ironwoods, not sure if trellis could go that high! Yeah, it's permitted...we checked. :)

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 12:12AM
deviant-deziner(Oh zone)

Fairly fast, drought tolerant - zone 9

Rhamnus alaternus- requires absolutely no water once established.
Pittosporum tenuifoium
Myrica californica
Nerium standard form would look nice
Callistemon 'Cane's Hybrid'
Otatea acuminata azectorum - need a bit more water than the above mentioned to look its best.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 1:02AM
jubilante

They have paid some annual fee to keep it active, and now are not held to current building codes. This in a county where our other neighbor had to do an archaeological study (in a subdivision that has been here for 50 yrs) before pushing out a wall. Go figure.

Thanks for the suggestions. A local nursery has a good sale for their retail customers every October, and I'd like to be ready!

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 11:35AM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

Is there any "View" ordinances that you can not block?

Rather than going up, you might want to look for something that will give you an "Umbrella" coverage of the yard. Of course that totally changes what you can grow in the shade vs the sun.

Sorry about your thrilling new next door addition, good thing they did not add a deck/balcony so they can get a better view..... I have a similar issue with some wonderful neighbors who have a balcony that is just taller than the fence, only their oak tree covers the whole area and is protected by the city so I am limited to vines that can handle a lot of shade.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
Huge commercial project behind me
Hi, all. The Deathstar has arrived-- that is, the 60,000...
demeron
What can I put here for privacy
I bought this house 18 months ago and I'm not certain...
Carlton Clay
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
Do any of you see any red flags with this design?
We got a landscape design for our new yard that we...
TyBarr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™