Cucumber Problems

mccoml(9)May 10, 2012

I'm relatively new to gardening, and I've started having problems with my cucumbers. At first they were turning a bit yellow, and I thought I had waited to long to trellis them. I had originally mounded them, but Florida rain washed my mounds down to bumps. But after I trellised them the problem persisted, and the yellow turned to a papery brown. I've done some research, and I think it's either anthracnose, or angular leaf spot. Can someone help? I've started treating them with Neem oil last week when I decided it is a problem, and I haven't noticed any improvement.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ShenandoahJoe(6)

That's happened to mine a few times. I ignore it. Your blossoms look fine, so make sure the plant has all the nutrients it needs and the fruit should come out OK.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 4:00PM
lilcee

Do they look anything like mine? Mine are all turning yellow. It's been really hot and dry here and I water them but I wonder if they're not getting enough water?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 4:41PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Just be glad they don't have mildew.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 11:06PM
marys1000

I wish I could help. I have had something similar where the leaves just turned to white crunchy paper.
Definately took a toll on production. Never figured out what it was.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 12:46PM
mccoml(9)

@lilcee, they look just like yours, but it's definitely not that they're not getting enough water. I'm pretty sure it's angular leaf spot, and have been treating it with every recipe in the book. I started with neem every week, no improvement, then I tried compost tea for 3 weeks, and it just kept getting worse.I tried copper fungicide for 2 weeks and a small improvement maybe? but then it started raining every day. I tried baking soda, but it hasn't been dry for days so I can't tell if that was effective. I've decided on switching between milk spray and baking soda, and if it doesn't improve I'm pulling up the plants and putting down butternut squash!

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 10:42PM
More Discussions
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Radish in Miami
I grow mostly tomatoes, but once in a while I plant...
garf_gw
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
Are winter squash leaves edible?
for example, butternut squash?
takadi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™