Fan

stuffradioMay 1, 2012

I have over 120 newspaper seedling pots of numerous seedlings in each one. I'm going to start transplanting some of them within a week or two. Should I turn on a fan on low for about 15 minutes a day to get the stems thickening up? I also have some Melons amongst the seedlings I'm growing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Fans really need to be on from day one of growth and far more than 15 mins a day. Try 12 hours a day and if it is oscillating so much the better.

Turning it on this close to transplant time may not help much but it sure can't curt them.

Dave

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 3:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oliveoyl3

I leave the fan on low all the time in my cold greenhouse & it works well. You can also run your hand over them touching lightly at the tops of the plants.

More light, less fertilizer & cooler temps make the stems thick as well as the air movement.

My brother gave us some giant pumpkin starts with thin tall stems that had a rough ride in the car on the 2 hour drive over here because the stems were tall & thin. It's way too cold for pumpkins until at least June at our place, so I rigged up temporary accommodations inside the kitchen.

I slipped the peat pot into a tall slurpee cup along with some chopsticks & stacked the cup on stuff to be 2" under the over the range fluorescent spiral. They've greened & thickened up a bit as well as grew another inch this week. So far the stems appear to be healing & I will add more soil in the cup this week.

There's hope for thin & spindly seedlings.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Radish in Miami
I grow mostly tomatoes, but once in a while I plant...
garf_gw
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Are winter squash leaves edible?
for example, butternut squash?
takadi
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™