help me plan out my garden...chart inside

srg215(6b nj)May 9, 2012

i have a 12x4 ft. raised bed. the north side of it gets a bit of shade from the trees above. i have broccoli & sugar snap peas sprouted in there now. my cukes, zukes & summer squash are starting to sprout. i need help planning out where & how many seedlings to plant of my tomatoes, peppers & eggplants. i also have 6 containers i can use. currently, i have 10 tomato seedlings (5 better boy & 5 early girl), 4 eggplant seedlings and 8 pepper seedlings. i'm calling them seedlings but they're all getting pretty big now. this is what i have so far. can you please tell me where i should plant & how many and how far apart etc.? each square is 1 sf. thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Have you posted this over on the Sq. Foot Gardening forum here? Because planting in this fashion is so unique, it is the focus of that forum.

The first thing that jumps out at me is how do you plan to get access to the plants in the middle of the bed? A 3' wide bed can be worked from both sides but usually a 4' wide bed needs a path down the center for access.

Dave

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 4:15PM
vtguitargirl(Z4b VT)

I noticed that you have 1 square foot allotted for broccoli. I grew broccoli a couple of years ago & the leaves were gi-normous. They might need a little more elbow room.

As Dave says, you'll get loads of ideas on the Square Foot Gardening forum. You might also try Googling Mel Bartholomew and Square Foot Gardening for special techniques unique to this set up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Square Foot Gardening

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 4:58PM
nc_crn

IMO, companion planting with marigolds is vastly overrated (and too many use the wrong kind of marigold, anyway).

You might want to put some productive veggies in that space unless you're going for some kind of visual look.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 6:14PM
More Discussions
Need advice on setup
I am in charge of a community garden at my place of...
Brandon Smith
WHO calls Roundup a probable carcinogen
Very interesting... I tend to remain neutral towards...
Peter (6b SE NY)
What is wrong with my cauliflower head?
One of my cauliflowers with the same soil, fertilizer,...
djkj
what do I do with sprouting sweet potatoes?
It way to early to plant the sprouts.. need to be near...
jeanwedding
Long post but help please?
Okay, So. This year I started all my vegetables from...
jenandwya
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Chevron Pet Bed Dog Bed
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Area Rug: Hibiscus Garden Mocha 2' 6" x 4' 2"
Home Depot
Green Koi Fish Figurine Set
$14.99 | zulily
Garden Essentials Wall Hooks - Set of 3
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Mystic Ikat Primary Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$85.95 | Bellacor