Amateur needs design tips for tiny area

seeker12September 4, 2013

I'm stymied as to how to redo this tiny area. It is 10' x 4'. The low round evergreen (left) will be removed and replaced by the dwarf Alberta spruce (pictured). At the porch/entrance end is where I will replace the low Japanese lantern; nothing grows there as it's subject to heavy rain overflow from gutters and some ice in winter.

This is Zone 5 along Lake Erie so that means cold, snowy, windy Winter; cool, wet Spring; and warm Summer and Autumn. The area faces North and receives only a couple of hours of sunlight in the morning; most is blocked by a large mugo pine.

An Asian-style look with a few plantings with mulch between is my preference so that it's appealing, calming, not fussy or overcrowded.

The dwarf rhododendron I took out never bloomed as I suspect it was sun-starved. A japonica didn't thrive as it was damaged by snow and ice, but a small mugo pine was okay.

The sidewalk edge is planted with tete a tete daffodills which will be supplemented with more and also with crocus. They're smiles after Winter!

Stumping me is how to achieve a pleasing flow from the corner where the dwarf Alberta spruce will be to the low Japanese lantern at the porch/entrance end. It also needs to be rather low maintenance as well as slow-growing.

Should I add a slightly smaller dwarf Alberta spruce around the corner from the relocated taller one? Followed in some pleasing height/color/texture arrangement of things like a bigger diameter mugo pine or a larger japonica that might withstand winter's insults, or a Tiarella Pink Skyrocket for a bit of color, and/or other slow-growing evergreen or shrub?

I have a couple of pinkish rocks that can be added to the arrangement, too. Something is saying three but not four plantings...an odd number seems to be wanting.

We're talking a "rank amateur" here who is delighted when anything put in the ground actually grows!

Your advice, design tips, ideas, plant suggestions will be welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glambert

I recommend one of the cold - hardy Camellia japonica varieties; any plant with the 'Winter' designation, or one with Korean rootstock should be able to handle your situation. Camellia also espalier easily to free up bed space.

Here is a link that might be useful: PhoenixScape

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 4:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seeker12

What a lovely plant, glambert. Thank you for your recommendation. Now to find one with a Korean rootstock or a Winter designation. Internet here I come!

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
Issue with Retainer Wall, fixable or redo?
Hi, first time posting here. I'm looking for advice...
John Turner
Help with small retaining wall
I am starting to landscape my yard and am having trouble...
jminternelia
quick screen
I'm zone 7 and the spot is full sun. I had a 12' photinia...
Mary Bright
Help! My new front yard is UGLY! Any ideas appreciated!
Do I keep the stone flower bed edge? I was told it...
amynatashahowell
retaining wall on a budget
I would appreciate any suggestions on what materials...
festucablue
Sponsored Products
Hudson Valley Old Bronze Claremont Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
Design House Bristol 3-Light Chandelier - 510321
$140.99 | Hayneedle
Bath Authority DreamLine Unidoor Frameless Adjustable Shower Door with Glass She
Modern Bathroom
Moonrays Outdoor Lighting. Outdoor Black Solar Powered Color-Changing LED Love S
$19.98 | Home Depot
Select Luxury Reversible Medium Firm 10-inch Twin-size Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
'All You Need Is Love and the Beach' Box Picture Frame
$17.99 | zulily
Enzo I Wall Sconce by PLC Lighting
$104.00 | Lumens
Black Glass Lamps: 1-Light Table Lamp Frost Glass With Black Lines Polished Stee
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™