Asparagus from seed

tishtoshnm Zone 6/NMMay 4, 2012

Good day. I planted some asparagus from seed in cell packs (Precoce d'Argentuil, which I probably misspelled). The weather is hold steady and I think they are at a point I can plant them in the ground. They are hardened off. Can I plant them in a trench and fill in the trench as they get taller as I would with roots? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Yes you can. You don't have to, you can just plant them, but either way works.

Dave

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 4:20PM
lilydude

How did you get them to germinate? I can germinate "anything", but I can't get one asparagus seed to germinate, even using the popular 85 degree F treatment.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 5:05PM
glib(5.5)

In my case, after I gave up on them and reused the pots, they all started germinating outside in July. I had to choose them or the collards.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 8:50PM
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

Thanks Dave. I want them deeper to help keep them from coming up quite as early. We often have nice weather in the spring and all of a sudden end up with a freeze leaving me scurrying to protect or harvest.

For starting them, the seeds came from Baker's Creek. I put them in a 24-cell pack left over from pansies one year, put in potting soil, moistened it really, really well and put them on a heat mat, without a dome. Once I saw one germination (it was a little slow) I put them outside where the rest germinated. Mi biggest problem thus far has been the wind has been whipping them around quite a bit, thus I want to get them in the ground and place the milk jug cloches around them. Not to mention I am getting to the point where bringing the seeds in and out of the house each morning and evening is wearing thin.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™