How long will tomato seeds keep?

ReedBaizeMay 16, 2012

I've been gardening a long time but, until very recently, I've always bought my plants. Now I've gotten into the habit of growing from seed and love it. If I were to order my tomato seeds for planting this winter (inside on a mat and under a light) now, would they still be viable in November/December?

Where and how should I store them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dhromeo

Oh of course, I have tomato seeds that are ten years old, and while over time, the germination rate drops, you can still have seedlings from old seed. I've heard of people getting seeds to sprout that were twenty years old. In his case, only 1 out of every 5 seeds sprouted, but it worked. Keeping seeds for a year or two is fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 2:42PM
Edymnion(7a)

Yeah, a couple of years would be nothing. Over 5 and you start getting some minor problems. Over 10 and its pure luck.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 3:45PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

There are recorded instances of 50 year old seed being germinated under ideal conditions, germination of 15-20 year old seed when frozen is fairly common, and whenever this question comes up on the Tomato forum and the Seed Saving forum here there are many reports of 5 year old seed or more being used. Of course proper storage - cool and dry - will determine longevity.

Personally I frequently use 5-8 year old tomato and other common vegetable seeds.

Dave

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 4:34PM
ReedBaize

Thank you guys so much!!

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
Cucumber leaves turning white
Hi, I am totally new to having any sort of garden and...
wanderess
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™