Blechnum gibbum advice

fortyonenorth(6b)December 14, 2012

I have a new dwarf tree fern - Blechnum gibbum - and was curious about ideal substrate and fertilizing. Most of my houseplants are in either the 5-1-1 or gritty mix, but I've read that Blechnum is an acid lover. The grower has in potted in what appears to be 100% spaghnum peat and is thriving. Also, any harm in transplanting now? It is way oversized for its small container and very rootbound.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

The few sights I checked for pH preferences were saying 5.5-6.5, which isn't particularly acidic for containers. I'd worry first about the structural properties and stability of the substrate before pH, and control the pH (if you think it's necessary - I don't) either by using acid-forming fertilizers or preadjusting my irrigation water with white vinegar, citric/sulfuric acid ....

Al

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 12:13PM
fortyonenorth(6b)

Thanks Al. I'm thinking along those same lines. I'm using something pretty close to the 5-1-1 which should be OK. This is a small plant and won't be in this container or more than a year.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 10:02PM
fortyonenorth(6b)

Thanks Al. I'm thinking along those same lines. I'm using something pretty close to the 5-1-1 which should be OK. This is a small plant and won't be in this container or more than a year.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 7:11AM
More Discussions
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Banana plant in grow bag
hi .. potted this tree last month and it has survived...
amriteanukul112
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™