Container Gardening

saturn1956(6)December 27, 2012

Because of lack sun I am restricted to grow my vegetables in large pots. I don't mind doing this instead of raised beds. I have grown tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers(did not do so well) and basil, zucchini and squash(did not do well) . I was wondering what other veggies do well in pots I was thinking of beans or something that would produce well for me to grow this summer. I have used just regular topsoil in past years in my containers.

Saturn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I don't think your problem is growing in containers, but growing without sun. You need to pick vegetables that do not require much sun. Al

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 10:34AM
saturn1956(6)

Where I place the containers I do get pretty much full sun from about 10am to 5pm

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 10:42AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I suspect that the problem is your choice of potting mix. Take a few moments to check out some of the very informative threads in this forum regarding the importance of finding or making a porous, fast draining potting medium.

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 12:35PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

In answer to your question, you can grow almost any vegetable in a container if the pot is large enough (at least 5-10 gallons) and the potting mix is fast draining, like the 5-1-1 discussed on this forum. I've successfully grown many different veggies in containers with 5-6 hours of sun, including watermelons and pumpkins in 25-gallon containers.

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 4:22PM
emgardener

Japanese eggplants are great in containers, very productive, even with just 4 hours of direct sunlight a day, which is all I have for my containers.

I've also had great results using organic compost mixes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of organic containers

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 1:47AM
foolishpleasure

I am surprised that your Cucumber did not do well in container. Beside the container you have to have something built to climb on it. Also make sure your containers and whatever soil you use has good drainage properties.

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 2:47AM
beekinzo

It would be also helpful to know what zone you are in?

There is a very useful book entitled, "The Bountiful Container" written by Rose Marie Nichols McGee and Maggie Stuckey that gives a lot of useful information about growing vegetables in containers. You might want to check it out. I found it to be very inspiring. If you have sun and heat and good drainage you should have success -- the rest is trial and error and good eats. enjoy!!

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 8:12PM
More Discussions
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Banana plant in grow bag
hi .. potted this tree last month and it has survived...
amriteanukul112
aphid issue + not many predators
Hello, dear Container G people!!! So, let me know if...
Need2SeeGreen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™