Flowers but no leaves

acutsh1December 13, 2011

I have a morning glory in a container which blooms constantly however has no leaves, any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

It takes leaves to produce food/energy. If the plant is using more energy than it it producing, it is dying ...... or at least steadily declining, to put it a softer way.

In some annual plants, hormonal changes as days shorten find them increasingly unable to produce vegetative growth, and they focus their energy on organs that assure their genes get passed along to the next generation, those organs being blooms and fruit (seeds).

Any idea what the genus & specific epithet of your plant might be? There are many plants commonly referred to as 'morning glory'. If it's not the natural behavior of an annual 'going to seed', you'll need to look closely at the cultural conditions - light, soil & watering habits, nutritional supplementation, temperature .....

Al

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 10:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
acutsh1

Thanks AL
Any idea what the genus & specific epithet of your plant might be? There are many plants commonly referred to as 'morning glory'. If it's not the natural behavior of an annual 'going to seed', you'll need to look closely at the cultural conditions - light, soil & watering habits, nutritional supplementation, temperature .....

Heavenly Blue-Grown from seed ( 4 months) in a 3 gal pot with potting soil. Water twice a week, 8 hours sunlight. So far I have not fertilized . Temperature upper 70s
Thx

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Container garden help wanted, re: corn
I am wanting to try something new with my container...
klo12
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™