Poolscape ideas

two_munkeys(z6 ON)September 9, 2009

We've had an inground pool put in this summer and want to landscape ourselves. I'm looking for ideas for poolside plantings that are clean (no/minimal falling flowers, seeds, leaves, etc).

We had armour stones put in as retaining wall, accent pieces/sitting stones and the ground surrounding the pool deck area is covered with small river rock.

Existing plants are spruce, cedar, boxwood, katsura, tiger-eye sumac, and grasses. We have removed a linden and birch tree (both very messy).

Thinking of adding golden threadleaf cypress, japanese maple and red-leaved wegeila (sp?) for colour, and I'd love some ornamental conifers for visual/textural interest. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, or if you could direct me to another forum that might be helpful, thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas

Sounds like you have some landscaping already going on. And, like you say, the fewer dropping of leaves, the better.

I would use some of the ornamental conifers like you have mentioned, and lots of bulbs. Not real sure what grows in your zone, but bulbs are easy, don't drop leaves, and can give you lots of color. The conifers could fill in, even though they shed some. The farther away from the pool they are the better.

And you may find some other perennials like salvias, butterfly bushes, etc. that can give you color without large leaves.

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 10:06AM
gardenlover25

Hello,

You can also add Croton plants. Crotons love lots of light and have colorful leaves making them excellent pool plants whether it is potted or not. Also I have searched from Google for some pool landscape design. I hope this helps you. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool Landscape design

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 7:46PM
Donna Gjelaj_Camaj

to name a few:
globe spruce
barberry (crimson against threadleaf looks great) or golden barberry as a companion for red laceleaf maple

I'm also in the same boat...I think poolscapes are so important and I need more color around the pool area minus the mess..

anything red incorporated would pop against the blue of the pool water..

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
the bane of my existence - what to plant in driveway ribbon???
I live in a historic district... the board has to approve...
lovetorenovate
light green leaf tree
Looking for a bright green leaf small/medium sized...
guatnut
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
Need landscaping ideas
Hi, we just built this house on a junior acre in zone...
imcheetah
Privacy Trees For Zone 5 (US)
We live in zone 5 on approx a 1 acre lot. Our neighbors...
pinball01
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™