Resin / Plastic Borders (Edging) Anyone?

eldemilaSeptember 19, 2011

Wondering if anyone's used the plastic/resin borders in their garden, and/or around their trees. Bought a home recently and don't have the funds to do a concrete border at this time with all the other stuff needed to do in the house.

Has anyone used something similar to these Suncast brand borders, and if possible, would love to see some pictures of what you've done with them. In harder soil, if anyone used them in this type of soil, best and easiest way to put them in.

Thanks for any help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Suncast

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Naturalchick27(6)

I don't have these but I do have some plastic edging of another brand. The pieces just hook together and you hammer them into place. I use mine along a concrete path to add some decoration to a flower bed. I plan on using it around a rose bush in the future.

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 8:25AM
isabella__MA(z5_MA)

These appear to be more for decoration rather than utility at separating plants from encroaching on one another.

A cheaper and more effective method would be a cut-edge. Nice dramatic shadow.. and exposed soil to stop pesky invasive roots.

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 8:50AM
eldemila

Thanks for the replies. NaturalChick, you wouldn't have any pictures of how you used them, would you? Isabella, never heard of cut-edge, will look it up.

I purchased these already from someone on CL, about 200 pieces of them. Thought they'd have a bit of a "bend" but they seem a bit more rigid. I'm hoping I can put them around two maples trees I've planted daylillies around to help keep the weeds out. Then I thought about putting them as a border up near my walkway since I can't come up with ANYTHING else to do in this area, but now I don't think they'll look right. I'm sure I'll be able to find uses for them, but was hoping to find some visual ideas on the web and there's not been a single one.

Anyone else?

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 8:01AM
karinl(BC Z8)

I'd be more concerned about keeping the daylilies inside them than the weeds out. Most weeds you can pull, but daylilies spread by root nodules, and that edging won't stop them below ground. Neither, frankly, will a cut (trenched) edge. A concrete edge won't either, and the concrete has the additional disadvantage of being impossible or very expensive to change.

Can you tell I kind of hate daylilies? I see them behaving for other people, but they never do for me. I now grow them only in pots.

This product really is not edging, but rather little tiny fencing. I would regard it as a temporary installation wherever you put it, since it will be vulnerable to frost heave, being pushed around by big plants, stepped on, and otherwise disrupted.

There is no real protection from the fact that weeds grow wherever there is bare ground. If your daylilies grow in nice and thick, they will stop weeds better than anything you can devise.

Maybe you could tell us more about your walkway area; perhaps we can offer some insight.

KarinL

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 12:01PM
Naturalchick27(6)

Here is the edging I used

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Help with frontyard design changes
Hi, I’m in the process of replacing turf in my front...
quikslvr0017
Issue with Retainer Wall, fixable or redo?
Hi, first time posting here. I'm looking for advice...
John Turner
Front yard design help
Looking to finally put some plants in the front yard....
Matt Johnston
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Plantings for Driveway/Walkway Design
We would like to pave the driveway. (I hope I am in...
doggonedeb
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Lyndhurst Collection Oriental Ivory/ Rust Rug (3'3 x 5'3)
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Old
$79.00 | Home Depot
Cream Herringbone Drum Table Lamp Shade
Cost Plus World Market
GREEK KEY BORDER RG 8.6X11.6 - IVORY
$2,199.00 | Horchow
Wolcott Wool Area Rug
FRONTGATE
Monterey Border Ocean Rectangular: 4 Ft. 11 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$129.50 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™