fennel

Lesuko(5, Boulder CO)May 8, 2012

I've read that fennel sends out some sort of bacteria that can kill other plants so you're not supposed to plant it near anything vegetable like. However, I can't find anything that tells me how wide the safe zone is. Is 3 ft ok, 4ft? more?

If you can't plant it near anything, where do you put it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

I've had it self-sow in various areas of my garden, just like dill does, and no problems.

If you're concerned that it may put out toxins that damage other plants, a la black walnut, you could either create its own separate bed, or plant in containers.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 4:13PM
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

Last year I planted fennel by broccoli and acorn squash. No problems. In another spot where I had fennel last year, I have planted kale and dutch shallots. They are all thriving. I have read about the problems that fennel can have but I have no desire to plan an entire bed of it so I keep experimenting to find out what will work and what will not. I also have a bronze fennel planted in a perennial bed, again, no problems with the other plants. It does not seem to be inhibiting weeds or grass from growing in that bed either.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 4:29PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I have also read that fennel is supposed to be allelopathic. But I have never had any problems growing vegetables in a garden with clumps of bronze fennel growing in it. The fennel has been there years.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 5:09PM
Lesuko(5, Boulder CO)

Great thanks. I have a spot about 4' from my baby peach tree but wanted to make sure before planting.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 11:39AM
kr222(6b)

Same here. I have self-sown fennel mixed all through my perennial and veggie gardens. I've never had an issue with it.
Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardens

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™