BT, powder or spray?

ikea_gwMay 1, 2011

I need to get some BT to control cabbage worms on my cabbage, but I don't know whether I should go with the powder or the liquid form. What is your preference and why? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
opal52(z7b GA)

I have used them both, and I prefer the liquid form. It's easier to deal with. Easier to get it on the whole plant, under leaves, etc. I use it on tomato plants also to prevent horn worms. You must mix and use right away according to instructions, and I tend to follow instructions. Any left over must be discarded once it is mixed with water. That may be a negative for some.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 3:51PM
farmerdill

whichever you have the equipment to use. You need a pump up sprayer for the liquid. You could get by with a hose end sprayer, but it is not a great applicator. For the dust, you need a dust gun, Dustin Mizer or equivalent. Both forms work well when properly applied. Dust does drift and the plants need to damp when applied. spray can be applied anytime of day.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 3:53PM
opal52(z7b GA)

Sorry, I should have said use the liquid BT same day, not right away. I do spraying, gardening early in the day so I discard any left over and clean the sprayer as soon as I finish spraying my small vegetable garden. But you can use it up to 12 hours after mixing.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 3:58PM
ikea_gw

So the shaker can that BT dust comes in is not adequate for application purposes?

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 5:26PM
sckitchen_gardener_8(8b)

The shaker can I bought three years ago, Dipel I think, worked just fine for me. I have a small garden. But the BT put an end to the hornworm's nasty business on my tomatoes.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 8:47PM
opal52(z7b GA)

I had the shaker style cans of BT, and I thought it was hard to use and get the powder evenly distributed. So I took an old cotton crew sock, put the BT powder in and found using it helped get more even and complete coverage on the plants in our small garden.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 8:45AM
ikea_gw

opal52, that is a great idea. And thanks for the other posters' advice too. I bought a can of BT dust today and will apply it once it stops raining.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
pepper with Brown spots
I researched about this disease and it says that a...
keyki5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™