Front Yard Advice Needed

janie1979September 30, 2012

Hello All, I need front yard suggestions. I have a bed across the front (faces North) with burning bush, hostas, coral bells, azaleas, some other assorted grasses, there are a couple of boxwoods in there in in the back. I'm liking all that ok, (but if you have suggestions about it please chime in) what I need help with is the placement and type of a couple of trees in the yard. The only tree in the front yard is a dead redbud (it will be cut down soon) The yard is a hillside. I'm thinking fairly small trees (no bigger than redbud size) as there are power lines, something ornamental maybe? I'll try to post some other pictures as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janie1979

Here is a street shot that shows the dead redbud. The grass is pretty awful right now, we were in a terrible drought all summer so the grass is patchy and weedy, I'll be working on that this fall.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 10:06AM
janie1979

Oops, I'll try again with the 2nd picture.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 10:11AM
janie1979

Here is another shot showing the front bed.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 10:13AM
tanowicki

I'm no expert but the redbud doesn't seem to be in a horrible position. I would move the new tree back towards the house and slightly right. You may want to think about having more than one tree in your front yard.

On a different note, I think your beds are too small and you need to think bigger. Maybe a bed from your driveway incorporating the light post and then heading along the house a foot or two out from the current spot. The new border could incorporate some gentle curves.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 5:00PM
janie1979

Thank you tanowicki. I have been thinking the same things about enlarging the bed. It may have to wait til spring, but I think I'm gonna do it. I do have a new tree picked out, it's a Forrest Pansy Redbud. I will plant it closer to the house and to the right as you suggested, I had a tree in that spot a few years ago and it was the perfect spot to see it out the front window. My tree should be planted tomorrow, I can't wait. It's a special tree, I recently lost my husband to cancer and a friend purchased the tree for me in his memory.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Need help with landscaping my front hillside
I need some help with landscaping my front hillside....
dabeevm25
To Tree Or Not To Tree, That Is The Question
Oh, Spring. That special time when you re-evaluate...
Shan
Issue with Retainer Wall, fixable or redo?
Hi, first time posting here. I'm looking for advice...
John Turner
Need ideas to hide foundation...
Not sure why the picture is upside down... Anyway,...
clevelje
Help! My new front yard is UGLY! Any ideas appreciated!
Do I keep the stone flower bed edge? I was told it...
amynatashahowell
Sponsored Products
Taylor Bedside Table
$459.00 | Horchow
Parker Velvet Channeled Pillow Sham
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
42" Optimum 60/40 Offset Double-Bowl Stainless Steel Farmhouse Sink - Wave Front
Signature Hardware
Sea Gull Lighting Sebring Brushed-Stainless-Steel Outdoor Wall Lantern
Overstock.com
Westinghouse Outdoor Lighting. 1-Light Weathered Bronze on Solid Brass Dual-Moun
$96.80 | Home Depot
Alvin Workmaster Adjustable Drafting Table - WM48-3-XB
$389.90 | Hayneedle
Red and White 16.5-Inch Christmas Trees and Presents Throw Pillow
$20.99 | Bellacor
Primary Desk
Design Within Reach
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™