Keeping Cats out of raised Beds

sapman(z5 NY)May 10, 2013

Anyone have a system that works ? They are my cats, so I don't want to shoot them. Only have problems when newly planted and soil is soft. Any repelent that works ?
I used to have it fenced, but its no good anymore.
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
victory_tea2085(z6 Ny)

I just posted about a sprinkler system that is motion activated- might do what you want. Paul

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 3:38PM
IAmSupernova(SE Texas 9A)

Lay chicken wire down over the soil (generally cats hate to walk on this) OR give the cats their own bed and put things that will attract them to that bed, like catnip, in it. Or both.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 4:14PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Lots of discussions that the search will pull up - some quite recently - with all kinds of suggestions. Just type 'cats' in the forum search bar.

Fencing is the most common recommendation. If not the whole garden then small temporary fence around the newly planted area.

My cats scoff at the various repellents so i just lay down pieces of chicken wire over newly planted boxes or garden spots till the plants sprout and then remove them. They don't like to walk on it.

Now if it would only work for the armadillos!

Dave

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 4:17PM
crisslyon(8b)

I use grated citrus peels and cayenne pepper sprinkled around... Grandmas recipe... The old lady next to me has tons of cats and they use my yard but stay out of all my garden beds

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 11:06PM
LKZZ(7b)

Some sort of fence would be my remedy. We have 4 cats and the garden fence keeps them at bay. Though they do seem to like the disgusting water in the bird bath whose edge they gracefully balance on to drink from. The clean water in their dish is ignored.

Cats...go figure...

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 9:52AM
silverkelt(Z5b/Southern Maine)

Never really had a huge issue in the garden beds, but my kids sandbox was a issue for one of our cats for awhile, covered it in plexiglass for about a year or so.

But I have to comment on water, our cat WILL never drink from the water dish, dont even try anymore. Her favorite mode of drinking is for one of us to turn the upstaris bathroom faucet on so she can drink from the running water.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 11:15AM
seanmorr(8)

We have 3 beds in a neighborhood with a lot of cats...who thought they were giant litterboxes. This year I'd had enough and bought some of this
http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Gardener-602-BirdBlock-Protective/dp/B00004RA0O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368556526&sr=8-1&keywords=bird+garden+netting
put screws in the top of the beds and wrapped the netting around. So far worked well and I can cut out holes to plant into.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
ancient
this news just in-23 year old lettuce seeds do not...
davids10 z7a nv.
Giant Noble Spinach
I started this variety in my grow closet (which is...
thedudefrom1976
Cucumber leaves turning white
Hi, I am totally new to having any sort of garden and...
wanderess
Which sweet potato varieties have best foliage and good yields?
I want to grow sweet potatoes in a visible location...
armbarangel
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™