Plants for edging a blacktop driveway.

chester_grant(6)September 22, 2010

I have an unattractive basic tarmac driveway - the expensive way to edge it would be to use cobblestones. That whole excercise would be very costly with the digging, gravel, cobblestone and then filling in the gap with a strip of new tarmac.

I thought about lining the driveway instead with some small low plants - but while hostas come to mind I am in deer country and those hostas would be eaten. So I also need to have deerproof plants.....

Any ideas - low cost that is? I guess small boxwood would be one option.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

The classic is peonies. In snow country, there is a great deal to be said for something that disappears into safety during the winter.

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 10:32AM
chester_grant(6)

How about some kind of small attractive ornamental grasses? Any suggestions? For a 50 ft driveway (100 ft of border!) wouldn't grasses be inexpensive solution?

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 10:50AM
laag(z6CapeCod)

Ornamental grasses are great for this. You can do masses of different grasses. Little Bunny Fountain Grass is a great one. I like Morning Light Maiden Grass for larger accents a few feet back. Elijah Blue Fescue is nice also, but I find it is inconsistent in my area. They are also forgiving to those occasional stray tires.

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 9:09PM
reyesuela(z7a)

Liriope is mostly ignored by deer here and is evergreen. Carex, too. In snow country, I don't think I'd do boxwood. It'd take years to repair any damage done by accidentally going over the edge in winter. I had to put in aluminum posts to protect my plantings near the street.

Bookmark   September 26, 2010 at 1:08AM
More Discussions
need help regrading
hi, currently the mulch surrounding my home foundation...
mishyq
Do any of you see any red flags with this design?
We got a landscape design for our new yard that we...
TyBarr
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Show Me Your Small Private Backyard Landscaping
Looking for picture-based examples of up to a 1/4 acre...
Bob Sislow
Huge commercial project behind me
Hi, all. The Deathstar has arrived-- that is, the 60,000...
demeron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™