Broccoli and Cauliflower still not heading

lilionMay 12, 2012

Okay, so it's May 12 and my broccoli and cauliflower still don't have heads. We had a very weird spring, in March I literally turned off my heat and turned on my AC in two days. It would be 80, then 40 then 70's for a week, then high 80's, then ... you get the idea.

Will these make heads? Should I just pull them up and plant something else? They are taking up pretty much all of my tiny garden spot and I don't want to wait and not have anything at all.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lgteacher(SCal)

We had the same type of weather. I finally got my last cauliflower head a few weeks ago. The brussel sprout plant is just getting taller with no heads. You can start some small plants in between them, and the, if they still don't have heads, cut them off to make room for the other plants. At that point, trying to pull out the roots would disturb your new veggies.

Here is a link that might be useful: cauliflower

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 3:29PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I think it is still too early for heads in your zone, especially for cauliflower. I'm south of you and my broccoli is just now starting to form small heads and I wouldn't expect any on my cauliflower for another couple of weeks at least.

Assuming they have been properly fed and the weather stabilizes, patience is called for. :)

Dave

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 3:59PM
lilion

Thanks. I just did some work in the garden and looked at them closely. The cauliflower do have some tiny heads starting, about the size of a nickle to a quarter, one broccoli has one dime sized. I've seen one cabbage moth, hopefully the DE I put on them will help keep the Caterpillars from coming to destroy them and I have some Safer insecticide if I start seeing them. They ate them all up last time I tried. I'm not able to find BT anywhere around here and I really don't like using chemicals if I can help it. So, thanks for the ideas and I'll be patient!

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 4:23PM

BT isn't a chemical. It is a bacteria and is approved for organic gardening. It is sold as a powder called Dipel and as a liquid called Thuricide.

Dave

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 4:37PM
lilion

Oh, I know it isn't a chemical, which is why I want to use it. I just haven't been able to find it yet. Tried Ace and Lowes. I'll try the local nurseries and see if they carry it.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 4:57PM
ltilton

You can find BT online.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 6:11PM

Walmart carries it around here. So does Home Depot and Tractor Supply.

Dave

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 7:07PM
soonergrandmom

My Lowe's has it and the brand is Garden Safe. I bought a bottle last week. I am zone 6 and I don't have broccoli either. Mine is growing under row cover because I had so many chewing insects early in the season and I didn't have anything to apply at the time.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™