spinach white spots

melbelMay 7, 2014

Hi, I recently transplant my spinach outside and their some white spots developing on the leaves, does anyone knows what can cause that ?

Thanks, Mel ;)

Sorry for the poor picture, the SUN is happily shinny :D

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tripleione(6b)

Did you harden off the plants before putting them directly in the sun? If not, it's probably just sunburn.

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 4:18PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree - sun scorching from not hardening them off well enough first. Give it some light protection from the full sun until it has a chance to recover.

Dave

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 5:16PM
jimmy56_gw

What zone are you in that would help, Spinach likes cooler weather, I always plant my seeds in the ground as they do better then transplanting.

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 8:58PM
melbel

I'm in zone 4 Canada .. I did hardening them but only for a few days, that's probably why! what should I do to protect them from the sun, put a black plastic bag on them ?

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 9:14AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Did you spray, spread any thing around them, like slug bait, fertilizer, lime, ... ?

I direct sow them around mid March and let them do their thing. Now getting harvest ready. This way you dont have to care for them until they emerge.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 11:57AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

For future reference you never cover plants with black plastic bags. The goal isn't total darkness but simply reduced sun exposure for a few days while still letting some sun and air in.

A semi-transparent gallon plastic milk jug with the bottom cut out and the cap left off works, so does any of the many row cover fabrics or plant protectors available. Waxed paper cone with some small holes cut in it and wrapped around an upside down 3 ring tomato cage works until it rains.

You just have to think outside the box.:)

Dave

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 11:59AM
melbel

Seysonn, I didn't spray or fertilize yet !! .. you still plant even if their 4 foot of snow out ?
Thanks for the advice Dave.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 6:26PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Seysonn, I didn't spray or fertilize yet !! .. you still plant even if their 4 foot of snow out ?
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
course not. You cannot plant transplant either.
Cool crops like cool temperatures. When you start and grow them inside (LIKE in 70F) they get shocked. So with 4 ft snow on the ground I would not rush it. I start peppers and tomatoes 6 to 8 weeks ahead of time. Because it makes a difference. Cold crops not worth it to start inside, for me.
YMMV

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
what do I do with sprouting sweet potatoes?
It way to early to plant the sprouts.. need to be near...
jeanwedding
Walnut mulch for raised vegetable garden pathways
Just had a walnut stump ground down. Is it safe to...
burtman23
Long post but help please?
Okay, So. This year I started all my vegetables from...
jenandwya
Artichoke Failure, HELP!!!
I am in zone 7a, middle TN, and attempting to grow...
Trinacria
WHO calls Roundup a probable carcinogen
Very interesting... I tend to remain neutral towards...
Peter (6b SE NY)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™