Water fountain on brick courtyard and efflorescence

richard904September 5, 2008

Last autumn we had a brick courtyard built for the entry way for our house. It replaced an old brick courtyard. At the same time we had a small level platform built in the middle of the courtyard to accomodate a water fountain. Very good paver brick was used and a super stone mason did the work. The typical efflorescence from the bricks disappeared over the winter. About a month ago we finally found a fountain we liked and had it installed. The fall of the water causes random splashing which leaves a circle of water around the fountain on the bricks except when the hot overhead sun evaporates the water quickly. The bricks have not been sealed yet. Now we notice a very light white color on the bricks that are exposed to this random splashing. It may be efflorescence from the bricks there which stay damp too much, but maybe it is just minerals in the evaporated water that settles on the bricks. The fountain is concrete, so there may be a tiny bit of leaching of minerals from the fountain which contribute to the slight white color. Is there anyone who has a similar experience and what is the cause? One way or another we will carefully clean those bricks and seal the whole courtyard

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

Where I live our water is very high in dissolved minerals -- every fixture and surface will develop a white film of mineral buildup if not cleaned regularly. I also run vinegar through the coffemaker to remove the mineral buildup.

Sealing your brick will make it easier to clean, but won't prevent the mineral deposits from forming.

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 12:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inkognito

I am assuming the fountain recycles the water from a container (pond?)of some sort. Perhaps you could filter the water as you refill or use distilled water as it does sound like mineral deposits.

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™