Mineral oil for corn earworm

greenthumbnick(8b)May 30, 2008

I read that you should wait til corn is polinated before applying mineral oil to the ears. How do I know its polinated. I know it looks dry and brown when its ready for harvest but Im sure there's a way to tell when its polinated sooner than that.

Does mineral oil kill existing earworms or is it suppose to prevent them from entering the ears? Or both?

Nick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

Are you sure you want to use mineral oil? I wasn't aware that corn had problems with ear wax! I use Sevin shortly after bloom with excellent results.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 3:21AM
wally_1936(8b)

They drown from the oil

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 12:23AM
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

Thanks. Never heard of that before.

If the oil coats the worm so it can't breathe, I would suspect it works on existing worms and wouldn't necessarily repel new arrivals, although they might detect the presence of the oil and stay away anyway.

I guess I would be concerned that once you got a high enough concentration of oil to suffocate the worms, you would also be suffocating and damaging the plant.

To tell when your corn is pollinating, watch the tassles. When they finish dropping their pollen, you are done with pollination and coming into corn ear worm season.

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 2:38AM
More Discussions
Who is gardening right now? Show me pictures
I spent my day in the garden. My turnips and kale made...
katy_bug
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™