What are these little flying insects?

sharbear50(6a Bella Vista)December 20, 2012

I brought in one of my plants cause it wasn't getting enough sun on my porch. There are little flying insects buzzing all around it. What are they and how do I get rid of them? They look like gnats...?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jodik_gw

Depending on your growing conditions, soil used, and cultural habits, odds are good that we're talking about fungus gnats, which enjoy a wet, humus-y environment of decomposing matter.

Allowing the soil to dry out a little more before watering again will help eliminate the preferred environment. There are a multitude of insecticide products available that will eradicate fungus gnats. I've found that eliminating the damp, decomposing conditions they favor keeps them from setting up house.

I use a larger particled, sharp draining medium that promotes excellent aeration, and is more on the inorganic side, ridding my pots of the decomposing materials that fungi and fungus gnats love.

I'm sure others will offer advice containing brand names of preferred products... anyone?

But a good start is allowing the soil to dry a little more before adding more moisture, thereby eliminating the type of environment fungus gnats like.

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 3:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

If they are fungus gnats, the larvae in the soil may be controlled with BT. BT is used for controlling mosquitoes among other larvae, for fungus gnats, dissolving Mosquito Dunks in water and using as a soil drench will solve your problem. Al

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 8:31AM
More Discussions
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™