help, yard backs up to brambly untended land

kjmama(6)September 18, 2010

What can I do along our property line? Our yard has 2 long sides adjacent to brambly blackberry vines, honeysuckle, thistle..... the farm nearby is untended along that line. How can I - minimize the invasion, and what could I plant that won't be overtaken by such? Or any other thoughts, solutions.... ?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ideasshare(z6)

Adding pergola to match the vines,or maple,juniper,conifer work.avoid tree's shade make other plants die.

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 10:09PM
reyesuela(z7a)

Mow. None of those things can stand up to a mower. If you don't like looking at it, then plant dense conifers that can out-compete it.

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 1:14AM
kjmama(6)

Mowing is great, up to a point, but we can't mow all their land, plus it is rocky and uneven. Do conifers work>

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 8:22AM
nandina(8b)

How do you plan to use your property? Just lawn? Vegetable garden? Cottage garden? And the important question, can you live with the 'natural' look around you or do you have to have every blade of grass precision cut?

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 8:30AM
lehua49

mama,

Put up a physical barrier like a nice high stone wall or very strong fence with many rails instead of pickets. Then chainsaw or cut back with a weed-whacking steel blade any thing coming over or through if chemicals are not an option. This will give a more manicured appearance. JMHO Aloha

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 10:04AM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

Tough situation. Honeysuckle is terrible. A combination of mowing and a mixed screen is what you need.

First cut back and mow an area about two eight feet beyond your property line. I might even get out the roundup pump sprayer on it afterwards.

Second. This fall start planning your living privacy screen. I like a bush and tree combination. More different species the more interesting it is and the less likely the whole thing can be killed at once by the wettest fall ever, the invisible arborvitae gyspy ash borer, or whatever. Plant these a few feet on your side of the property line. Anything that gets taller than eight feet will do. I think evergreens are not necessary but would include some.

Third, mow every so often on the other side of the line, not the whole thing, just one or two mower widths. Every so often you may have to take the roundup to grape vine or the like.

Good luck

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 11:32AM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I've had good luck fighting Japanese honeysuckle by pulling it in the winter (though that can be dangerous if it's intergrown with poison ivy). You can also use Roundup or triclopyr (for example, Ortho Max Poison Ivy and Tough Brush Killer). The Nature Conservancy says to spray in late fall or winter to avoid damaging desirable plants; but be sure to spray when it's warm enough that the honeysuckle isn't dormant.

If the neighbor's property is uphill, honeysuckle seeds will continue to reach your property. [I don't know if they're also spread by birds, though I suspect not, since I never find seedlings under the shade trees in my front yard.]

Another possibility is to have someone till your side of the property and hope there's no rain for a while. That did wonders for the honeysuckle situation in part of my pasture (I actually had it plowed for planting vegetables, but it killed the remaining honeysuckle I hadn't eradicated in that area).

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/loja1.htm
http://www.imapinvasives.org/GIST/ESA/esapages/lonijapo.html

Both sites also have information about fighting other particular nasties.

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 4:38PM
tanowicki

Are goats an option?

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 5:34PM
rosiew(8 GA)

Goats! A brilliant idea. You'd have to get the farmer's permission = and probably have them tethered, but after overcoming these obstacles, sounds great.

Bookmark   September 21, 2010 at 8:55PM
kjmama(6)

this is very helpful - thank you all!

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 10:09PM
reyesuela(z7a)

I meant mow YOUR land! :-)

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 1:24AM
More Discussions
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
Mulch/grass over asphalt?
Our entire backyard was paved with asphalt by the previous...
stevet47
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Front Yard Landscape Help! Zone 10a
We are looking to remodel the front of our home. We...
honesthouse
What can I put here for privacy
I bought this house 18 months ago and I'm not certain...
Carlton Clay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™