landscaping a small yard

karen68-gardenerSeptember 13, 2010

We are moving from VA to AL in Nov. Our new home has a small back yard that is shaped like an elongated rectangle, 30 feet long and maybe 90 feet wide! What to do; especially since we will need privacy plantings across the back! Are there any good books on landscaping yards with this shape out there? Any guidance willbe deeply appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ideasshare(z6)

If you post your yard photo here,you could get exact suggest.

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 9:53PM
esh_ga

Personally, I think the first step is to decide how you want to use the space - recreation, areas for kids, entertaining - and if there are any particular types of gardens that you like (e.g., roses). These will help you come up with some goals. Look also at surrounding homes and decide if you want to coordinate (they have formal landscaping and you want to match) or do your own thing.

For privacy plants, consider a mixed screen of both evergreen and deciduous. This lets you have more choices (including some flowering choices), minimize issues with diseases attacking a row of the same plants, and get more than just a boring row of shrubs/trees.

I don't think the shape is so unusual, but perhaps just different than what you are used to.

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 10:06PM
rosiew(8 GA)

Recommend also that you post to the Alabama forum here on Gardenweb.

Bookmark   September 14, 2010 at 5:46PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Hi, karen.

I think you might be interested in laag's before-and-after designs for a wide, shallow backyard on this thread:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/msg091804247726.html?11

I'm not a pro, but it seems to me that some of the tactics he used to de-emphasize the narrowness include:

= filling in one end of the yard with a deep bed.

= de-emphasizing the rectangularity of the yard by having a non-rectangular lawn. He does this by having deeper beds near the fence in one area and near the house in another area: in other words, the lawn is a sort of zig-zag shape rather than a rectangle with rounded corners. [I've seen the same tactic used in a narrow side yard by having a path that isn't straight, but meanders from near the house to near the fence.]

Your yard is different -- and smaller -- but you might try the same tactics.

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 1:41AM
More Discussions
Huge commercial project behind me
Hi, all. The Deathstar has arrived-- that is, the 60,000...
demeron
What can I put here for privacy
I bought this house 18 months ago and I'm not certain...
Carlton Clay
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
Need tips to make garden spiral
so this is kind of embarrassing but I don't know how...
violetwest
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™