Amending soil for watermelons

thepodpiperMay 16, 2010

I am getting my garden ready and am doing the melon section, i can not seem to find the thread on soil amendments for growing watermelons. What do you experts do to your soil to prepare it for growing watermelons.

Dale

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyrus_gardner(8)

melons can thrive in just about any soil. They are not that picky.
You give them more sun, more heat, they will grow bigger. But if they don;tget sun, heat and fairly long growing season soil, amended or not is not going to make a Big difference. JMO.

CYRUS

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 5:43PM
dancinglemons(7B VA)

OK I've got the heat and the sun but what should I put in the soil to make them happy. I have read the Ag websites but personal experience from home growers would be nice.

DL

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 5:55PM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

Watermelons like loose and deep sandy loam soil. Since my soil was not sandy, it helps to add loosing agents like sand, peatmoss, compost, and perhaps extra well rotted manure. I fertiliZe also.

Cantaloupes are not so picky.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 6:13PM
growinidaho

YAY! My first ever watermelon seed popped up today and its not time to plant them yet. I am experimenting with a few seeds (maybe they will beat the frost). My soil was just tilled for the first time. I added some old horse manure. The rest of the melons will get compost, old manure and sand. Garden gets at least 10 hours of full sun and cooler nights. Yesterday I planted 8 cantaloupe seeds in tires. Thought I could easily cover them if it frosts again before June. If melons all freeze...no loss, cuz its too early to plant in my area.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 9:54PM
thepodpiper

I remember reading a thread a couple of years back and the poster said how he dug a hole about 3 foot deep and put in some of this and some of that so that when the roots grew down they were getting what they need as the vines got bigger well the year i read that i decided to follow that advice and the pic below was the end result. Now I do not have a problem with all the other growing necessities of a watermelon Ijust can't remember what i threw in the hole.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 10:01PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

There's something called "Earl's Hole Method"

I found this on another site, which I cannot link to:

"I ran across Earl's (CHOPTAG Earl) method on the ville. I think I may try it on some in ground tomatoes.

Earl's "hole planting method":
Dig out about 1 1/2 - 2 cubic feet of soil into a wheelbarrow.

Add:
3/4 cup TomatoTone (4-7-10)
3/4 cup Bone Meal (0-10-0)
3/4 cup Epsom Salt
10 lbs premium composted cow manure, or sheep or rabbit manure
20 lbs of soil conditioner (sandy soil full of peat, pine bark mulch, etc. to loosen up clay soils)
Mix throughly and return all of this to the hole.
Transplant deep so just the top leaves are showing.
Lightly tamp down the soil and make a "well" about 1' across so water is retained.
Mulch
Sprinkle a bit more TomatoTone on top."

Here is a link that might be useful: Where is 'Earl's hole method'?

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 11:54PM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

Surely, Dale, you would remember somewhat more what you had put in about a dozen gigantic holes? LOL

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 9:47PM
namfon

Dale,

I have to ask, am I reading the date stamp correctly ? Jan. 24th 2000 and a baby in diapers, in Michigan ! LoL

But seriously, was your mix close to Earl's above ? I am getting ready to prepare my Melon area and would love to get just a few the size of those puppies, also do you recall the variety you grew ?

Nam

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Plastic hardware cloth
How easily can critters chew through it?
hairmetal4ever
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™