can you help identify what kind of hardscape this is?

M_N_ASeptember 26, 2013

the first one should be interlocking paver

what is the 2nd one? is it tile, natural stone, or paver? it's smooth without much gap or groove

another very stupid question, can you put tiles in landscape, like you do in a bathroom floor? do you need a concrete base?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcinde(7)

bottom pic looks like travertine pavers

Tile's too thin for outdoor application unless it's applied to a solid surface (like a slab) but even that is climate dependent - we did tile patios in CA and AZ we could never do in VA

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 7:00PM
yardvaark

ditto what marcinde said.

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 11:46PM
M_N_A

thanks for the help. but I have seen or terracotta tiles used in patios or tiles with exterior application rating, such as this one
http://www.porcelanosa-usa.com/home/products/tile/stonker---porcelain.aspx/d=14078/title=Arizona_Stone

will those work?

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 1:16AM
yardvaark

With impeccable installation in Miami and San Diego Ca., and Brownsville, Tx. Not in Anchorage or Chicago.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:25AM
deviant-deziner(Oh zone)

Not only is the thickness and porousity of the tile climate dependent but the proper installation techniques are also required ; using a more aggressive / intensive / flexible / sealant installation measures to ensure longevity of use.

I've seen a cross section of stone , concrete and clay body based tiles curl and pop off their concrete substrate due to extreme temperature differences within on day , over a period of time ( 105 day time and 40 degree night time) - Some , not all, of these site specific installations were able to be saved by using a more flexible thinset and grout such as a laticrete system plus proper sealing against water infiltration.

If you are considering using a tile that is not commonly seen in your climate it might be because it has been tried and failed OR it failed because some of the newer technologies hadn't come to market yet and it may be possible to have a satisfactory long lasting outcome.

Doing your reseach, like it appears you are doing is the best way to be educated in determining whether or not your chosen material and be properly laid... and last.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 1:05PM
M_N_A

got it. thank you all so much!!

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 1:15PM
More Discussions
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
Need tips to make garden spiral
so this is kind of embarrassing but I don't know how...
violetwest
Women Landscapers?
I am one. Any others out there? Do you hire women workers? If...
lifeflower123
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™