CNS 17 for fertilizer

ykerzner(9 TX)December 7, 2010

Keeping in mind the 3-1-2 ratio, would this product work as a substitute for Foliage Pro? It has a ratio of 3-1-2, so would I need to apply it at three times the rate of FP to get the same results?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I remember commenting about the cns17 back in Oct on a thread posted by 'epicseedman'. Here's what I said. Keep in mind the question he asked might have been subtly different from yours, but the answer is probably in what I said:

"FWIW - I went to look at the CNS product line.

All coir and CHC products are VERY high in K, so it would seem that if the CNS17 product was really developing a product specifically for use with those products, they would have lightened up on or eliminated the K content. As I reviewed the label, I honestly didn't see anything at all that would set this product apart as being any better than other 3:1:2 ratio products when using coir or CHCs. It does lack many of the minors, and you need to use 3X as much of the 3-1-2 as 9-3-6 - 8X as much 3-1-2 as 24-8-16 to get the same bang. I actually think MG 24-8-16 or 12-4-8 would be better choices."

Of course, I think that FP 9-3-6 would be a still better choice.

Al

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 10:13AM
ykerzner(9 TX)

I plan to use CNS17 only during the winter when temperatures are below 70 F, and also because it seems no stores in the area carry FP 9-3-6. Micronutrients are supplied by a different fertilizer. Is it worth paying up to 50 dollars for one gallon of FP by buying it online?

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 5:16PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

For me, it would be worth the price to pay for peace of mind and very healthy plants..

I paid 56 dollars for mine and drove 35 miles to get it.:-)

Mike

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 6:19PM
ykerzner(9 TX)

For one gallon, I presume? How long did it last?

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 6:23PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I have an 8-ounce bottle of Foliage Pro that I received last Christmas, and I haven't finished it.
I'm going for the 32-ounce bottle next, which costs $20 at a local specialty nursery.

Josh

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 6:52PM
ykerzner(9 TX)

Josh: Do you use Al's recommendation of one tspn/gallon when watering?

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 8:15PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Yes 56 dollars before tax a gallon...If I did not share it, it would last me for months and months if not over a year or longer..

I use 1/2 tsp/gallon all summer and 1/4 tsp/gallon all winter..

Mike

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 8:31PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, Mike! ;)

Ykerzner, I do use a tspn per gallon on the "hungry" plants....citrus, maples, osages, conifers....
Al has helped me quite a bit. One of my main foibles has been under-feeding plants in these bark and
grit-based mixes. I'm learning, though ;)

Some plants I fertilize more often, like Mike, and so I use about a half tspn.

I'm using a quarter tspn on my indoor peppers this time of year for maintenance.

I give my outdoor trees a splash from time to time, but the rain keeps them flushed.

Josh

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 9:08PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

While plants are growing well, I use a tablespoon (9-3-6)overflowed by about a teaspoon, so about 4 teaspoons in 2-1/2 gallons of water, weekly. Of course, you'd have to reduce the amount for plants in heavy soils. In winter, under lights, I fertilize at every watering with a fertigation solution of 12 drops of FP/gallon of water, which is a little on the light side, but should be about right for plants in fast soils but not under lights.

Al

Bookmark   December 9, 2010 at 10:13AM
More Discussions
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
aphid issue + not many predators
Hello, dear Container G people!!! So, let me know if...
Need2SeeGreen
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™