Shade container plants for nothern California?

anchita(Bay area, CA)December 4, 2010

We have recently moved to Bay area (north San Jose) and are in a rental apartment with only a patio available for gardening. It gets only morning sun, between 9 and 12 and then bright shade. I was wondering about suggestions for some container plants in such a location? Flowering ones would be great, but I do like plants for their interesting foliage and form too. I want to get one dwarf conifer that we intend to use as a small, living Christmas tree. I've never grown a conifer before, much less in a container, so any pointers or guidance in that directions would be very welcome. I've asked in the California forum (and conifer forum about the conifer) too, but figured I'd ask here as well, for information specific to container gardening. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kernul1

I live in SF and have a mostly shade garden. My favorites for containers are fuscias, abutilons (flowering maples) and Japanese maples. Some of the varieties in each handle shade better than others.

Other good ones are impatients, begonias, ferns, hostas and hellebore. Good luck and have fun! Lots of good stuff can grow in a shade garden :)

Bookmark   December 4, 2010 at 4:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xanthoria(9)

I have a patio in SF that gets roasting hot sun about 4-5 hours a day in summer, and shade the rest of the time. The best container plants for me that grow especially well in part shade are:

Aloes
Aeoniums
Brugmansias
Abutilons
Echeverias
Sempervivums
Plectranthus argentus
Helichrysum petiolare
Agave attenuata
Bacopa "Gold 'n Pearls"
Colocasia fontanesii
Cyperus involucratus
Cyperus papyrus

I have the water-loving ones on a drip of course - they'd fry in a day otherwise!

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™