In need of inspiration

redecoratingmom(8 GA)December 17, 2011

After much debate I've decided it would best for me to have a container garden in my front yard as opposed to trying to plant something in-ground under a pine tree in the front. So now I'm trying to envision what that would look like. I'm thinking of putting potted azaleas under the pine tree as well as containers of daffodils but I dunno. I really need to see some pics of the beautiful creations that you guys have come up with for your front yard or even areas where you've planted around trees or really anything you are willing to share. Please take pity on me and my lack of creativity in this area...pretty please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I like to offer suggestions where I can, but when I have no idea what the climate is like, where the poster gardens, I hesitate. Can you add your zone to your name to avoid this problem. Al

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 9:16AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

If your climate is like mine, then you can plant Spanish lavender, rosemary, toyon, sages, et cetera,
beneath your pine. I also use large rocks that are covered in lichen to help set the stage.

Josh

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 12:54PM
redecoratingmom(8 GA)

So sorry guys I usually add that to my posts but forgot this time. But,yeah, I live in beautiful Augusta,GA zone 8 (some say 8a) home of the Masters, legendary azaleas, scorching summers and mild winters. As a matter of fact yesterday was 75 degrees so I guess that means we are going to have a sunny green Christmas :) Sorry for the lack of info. Now I'm off to make that adjustment in my profile so I don't have to remember to add it each time. I'll do better guys.

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 1:15PM
redecoratingmom(8 GA)

Josh, we seem to have similar climates. I like the idea of the lichen covered rocks, never considered that.

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 8:42AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hello!

Yes, I collect rock specimens throughout the year, always looking for shapely (large) rocks
that have good colonies of moss or lichen. For sunny and dry areas, I use lichen - for shady
and moist area, I use moss.

Anyhow, I like to build up the planting area so that the rocks have a slightly higher profile.
In my back yard, I have a Stone Pine with a lot of stuff planted beneath it - Daffodils, Rosemary,
Yarrow, a couple types of Sage, and generous mounds of Spanish Lavendar. I'm sure that an Agave
would also look striking if it were planted at the proper distance (not too close, not too far).

You can't really see the rocks in this pic...but there are a few ;-)

Josh

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 10:21AM
redecoratingmom(8 GA)

Thanks for the pics! I think I'm falling for the sage and lavender. Anyone else have some plantings, container or otherwise?

Bookmark   December 20, 2011 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Can anyone predict future of this coconut tree?
its been around 6 months since I have potted this local...
amriteanukul112
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™