Staining one side of a fence?

amesly(8 B.C.)September 10, 2007

Hi all,

I tried to find the best forum for this question, if you know of a better one please let me know. :)

My new neighbour put up a very nice cedar fence between our yards (on her side of the property line). Today she's sealed her side, and for about $150 we can get our side done as well.

Now, I personally like how cedar goes silver when it ages naturally however I'm worried that if we don't seal our side as well the fence might warp.

Is that a silly thought, or might that happen if only one side is done?

Thanks!

Amy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zone_8grandma

Have you considered a clear sealer? It will allow it to age to that beautiful silver, but still give it some protection. You'd look for something that did NOT have "UV Protection", since you don't want "UV" protection.

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 4:32PM
amesly(8 B.C.)

That I could certainly do. But if I don't, will the fence warp?

Amy

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 6:41PM
busyd95

Warping has not been an issue on the fence that I share with my neighbor, even tho their side is stained and mine is not. Like you, I prefer the natural greying. However, I don't know if the stain used makes a difference. You might ask your neighbor to see the product and read the label.

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 7:02PM
tweedbunny

My sister has a cedar fence about 13 years old that is silver AND warped. It gets overspray from the sprinklers and so that might be an issue. It's in bad condition. I'd consider some type of clear sealer.

Hers reeeeally gets baked in the summer though. It's west facing and we have temps over 100 from June - September.

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 11:37PM
ohesq

Any wood that is exposed to the elements should be sealed with a good sealer (i.e., not ThompsonÂs ) every a couple of years (and more often for extremely hard, dense woods) for protection from moisture. As was indicated, a clear sealer (as opposed to sealer or stain that is pigmented) will still allow the wood to be exposed to UV rays which is what causes the silver/grey patina over time.

Bookmark   September 11, 2007 at 7:53AM
fatlady

I have 2 follow-up questions--

-What brand sealer do you recommend for protecting fences?

I believe my fences are redwood (recently power-washed). Will they silver over time? I would prefer they stay brownish.

Thanks for helping!

Bookmark   September 18, 2008 at 4:24PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

In this region cedar = Thuja plicata. Seems like redwood doesn't go silvery, but maybe someone else knows for sure.

Bookmark   September 18, 2008 at 9:37PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

If you want the silvery look now, you can put a wash on it first and then seal it. I use Dunn-Edwards "Weathered Brown" exterior paint diluted with water and seal over it.

Bookmark   September 18, 2008 at 10:54PM
nayrevets32_gmail_com

I stained the south (street) side of my fence two years ago (6 months after it was built). It is now pretty severely warped toward that side. I'm considering staining the north side to even it out, even though nobody sees it. Hopefully that won't take two years, since it's already due for another coat on the south side. I'm also wondering if that would work at all, since the north side gets no sun. Anybody have experience with this problem?

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 10:55AM
dsb22(z7 VA)

Sikkens is a good brand. A little pricey but it wears very well and extends the amount of time between resealings. We sealed our fence and deck a couple of years ago and are very happy with it. We didn't use clear, so I'm not sure how wood with that looks as it ages. We purchased our's at a Benjamin Moore paint retailer.

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 2:35PM
sprinklershield

Solve the fence staining before it happens. I found this product on the internet and it works great.

Here is a link that might be useful: sprinkler shield

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 7:59PM
Brad Edwards

I personally really like benjamin moors black forest stain but thats just me, I think a black fence "in the right setting" looks amazing.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 2:02PM
More Discussions
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
Need landscaping ideas
Hi, we just built this house on a junior acre in zone...
imcheetah
quick screen
I'm zone 7 and the spot is full sun. I had a 12' photinia...
Mary Bright
scary house help
Trying to help someone with this- yipes. I'm thinking...
hightide102
Help with small retaining wall
I am starting to landscape my yard and am having trouble...
jminternelia
Sponsored Products
Cencinquanta Floor Lamp by Omikron Design
$948.60 | Lumens
AICO Furniture - Cortina Armoire in Honey Walnut - N65080-28
Great Furniture Deal
Felix Full Headboard
$999.00 | Horchow
Vintage Boucherite Rug
| Dot & Bo
Capresso Froth Plus
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
George Kovacs Chrome Circle Black Shade Table Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Grape And Butterfly Stained Glass Tiffany Pendant Ceiling Lightings
ParrotUncle
Ocean's Edge Indoor/ Outdoor Braided Rug (6' x 6')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™