Indoor compost soil pests!!!!

AV5590December 11, 2011

So i've recently picked up gardening as a hobbie after scoring a job at a composting farm. Right now its gettin colder out and im in the process of getting indoor plants started. I started noticing something was weird when i noticed these small white/clear bugs overwhelming new growth of my biggest pepper plant. Now im getting the impression the problem is in the soil? because every plant that sprouts out looks like it has been gettin chomped on by millions of these tiny bugs!! Should i have waited for the soil to completely dry out before i used it on indoor plants? Since there are no natural predators to eat them? Would love to hear feedback!! Thanks :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Sounds like aphids....
I deal with them every year on my indoor pepper plants.
You can use an insecticidal soap to deal with the aphids. I like to rinse my plants
after I treat them (before the sun hits them again). Repeat applications will be required.

Better than soaps or sprays, however, are Ladybugs...and Ladybug larva in particular.

Josh

Bookmark   December 11, 2011 at 8:35PM
calistoga_al

Considering you are planting in compost, my guess is you have a problem with fungus gnats. The larvae in the soil will eat your new roots. They can be controlled with drenches of a BT solution which can be made by dissolving Mosquito Dunks in water. Al

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 8:43AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Al, these pests are covering and distorting new growth, so I wouldn't think fungus gnats,
which are more of a nuisance (and would present a threat to seedling roots if anything).

AV, click the link to the Hot Pepper Forum - many others are dealing with this issue.
The first pic in the Thread ought to confirm whether you have aphids or not.

Aphids?

Josh

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 9:56AM
calistoga_al

Of course Josh is right, gnats do not eat foliage. The flying gnat is a nuisance, the larvae do the damage to the plant. Al

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 7:43AM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Josh: I loved that Aphids link! Gives me fond (?!?) memories of my summer battles with the little bastards. My only question is that the original poster said his bugs were "chomping" on new growth. Aphids suck, and don't chew. A photo would help.

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 7:13PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I think "chomped" is being used figuratively ;-)
But we do need to wait for the original poster to clarify.

Aphids are a yearly joy for me....

Josh

Bookmark   December 14, 2011 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Container garden help wanted, re: corn
I am wanting to try something new with my container...
klo12
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™