Catnip & squash bugs

Deborah-SC(8a)May 18, 2012

Is anyone using companion planting of catnip to repel squash bugs? If so please let me know your results. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pest Control Plants

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

Well, I have a lot of volunteer catnip in the garden...hundreds of seedlings come up. I leave some around. I have near zero squash bugs, 8 Japanese Beetles last year, only 4 Colorado potato Beetles so far.

I cannot say that any of it is because of catnip and nastursiums....and I cannot say they don't help either. I have killed off all the squash bugs in the fall and that has worked for me. The squash bugs amass on any remaining leaves or fruits in the fall and are ripe for the foot smashing....get every last one.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 5:29PM
Deborah-SC(8a)

Thanks -- I'm giving it a shot!

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 10:52PM
planatus(6)

I let a couple of volunteer squash sprout and grow, then swoop in an collect the critters as I pull up the plants -- just before planting my real crop. Takes care of the early generation.

We also have catnip all over, and I keep maybe three plants each year. They are stationed around the big garden, not near squash necessarily, and they are tremendous bee/beneficials plants. I think whenever you invite birds, bees, and wasps in to the garden you will get better overall pest control.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 9:33AM
noinwi

We'll be looking forward to your "Stray cats in my garden" post, LOL.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 11:59AM
Deborah-SC(8a)

LOL noinwi! I did check to see if our cat is attracted to catnip before I put it out. He is not interested in it & he tends to run off strays so here's keeping fingers crossed that the strays & squash bugs don't party down in the garden @ night! If I start finding discarded red solo cups scattered about, I'll know what's going on....

I agree planatus about the birds, bees, wasps, etc. I've been an ornamental gardner for years and years. My backyard is teeming with "wildlife". I've just never had to battle squash bugs & svb before so I'm trying the catnip to see what it will do!

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Giant Noble Spinach
I started this variety in my grow closet (which is...
thedudefrom1976
Pea eggplants or kittily
Has anyone ever grown pea eggplants or kittily? Or...
changingitup
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™