Outdoor surface for aerobics

violetwestSeptember 9, 2013

Is there an economical choice for the surface of an outdoor, rug-sized area for aerobics, other than lawn? Concrete isn't very forgiving for knees and ankles.

At first, I was thinking of rubber mulch, but I understand it smells. I've tried interlocking rubber mats . . . which don't stay locked together. D'yall have any other ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcinde(7)

search on sport courts. They're typically some sort of a resilient covering over a concrete slab.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 8:45AM
violetwest

yeah, but -- I only need like a 3x5 area. Not sure that would be appropriate for what I want. Thank you for the response!

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 12:01PM
deviant-deziner(Oh zone)

That's a pretty small area , I'm suprised that you can't get the rubber mats to stay stuck together. You might try gluing them down to a full size matt.
You'll be able to find a wide variety of matt surfaces at a carpet remnant store.

We routinely use these inexpensive rubber 'click together' mats that have been glued to pre-fab concrete stepping stone slabs under childrens swing sets and at the bottom of slides, it keeps the mulch from wearing out in those areas. I've also glued them to marine grade plywood . They area as cheap as you are going to find.

Another option would be to use Ecosurface- but their minimum size roll is 4ft. x 25ft and it is not cheap, but it makes a GREAT looking surface on a floor on an outdoor rooftop deck or in the garage.

In my own back yard I purchased a very inexpensive outdoor rated ( woven from recycled plastic bags) carpet to put over a concrete patio. Works like a charm. It would be even more bouncier if I had some of those rubber mats underneath it. They come in all sizes too .
Google "outdoor carpets".

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 1:59PM
ishcountrygal

6' x 4' rubber cow mats or horse stall mats are listed online for about $45 or can be picked up at a farm supply store. (I use one for dampening the vibration of my washer and dryer on a tile floor.)

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 2:49PM
violetwest

these are some good ideas -- thank you. I'm so sore and hurting today from dancing on concrete last night! The old bones can't take that anymore!

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 6:39PM
More Discussions
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Women Landscapers?
I am one. Any others out there? Do you hire women workers? If...
lifeflower123
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
Need tips to make garden spiral
so this is kind of embarrassing but I don't know how...
violetwest
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™