Cantaloupe plants giving me troubles.

simplyoranges(9b)May 6, 2012

Everything in my garden is going great except for my cantaloupes (imperial 45 variety). They are producing female flowers, but they just keep dying off. However, my watermelons (crimson sweet) are doing just fine. I have some melons growing (biggest one about 2" diameter). How long should the vines be before they start producing fruit? I feel like this is my problem. My cantaloupe vines aren't anywhere near the length of my watermelon vines. But for some reason my cantaloupe plants have much thicker vines and healthier (greener) looking vines and leaves. I haven't measured the cantaloupe vines, but I'd say they are anywhere from 1.5 to 3 feet. The watermelon vines on the other hand are 3-6 feet. So should I just rip off female flowers until the plants grow longer? I'm getting worried. I really want to get some cantaloupe. I'm sure I still have a decent amount of time in the central florida growing season, but it still bothers me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Comparing different varieties of the same fruit can't provide you with any accurate info, much less comparing different fruits entirely. If only causes you stress. :) So focus on the cantaloupes.

Are you getting male blooms too? If not then that is the issue and will resolve with maturity of the plants and different varieties have different maturation rates. If so are you hand pollinating?

From your description of then plants is it possible they have been over-dosed with nitrogen? That can cause blossom drop. Any chance of over-watering? Also causes blossom drop.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom drop Faq

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Bloomify new company PLEASE READ ITS FREE AND NO INFORMATION NEEDED
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TYZS89F We'd love it...
chriswong7
What to direct seed in eastern pa
Hi everyone. I'm begining to plan my garden for spring,...
mfran12345
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™