Something is eating my pepper plants...holes in leaves..pics

minal(6)May 29, 2011

Hello, I think something is eating my pepper plants and creating holes in them. Two of the plants were damaged at the stem. I think its slugs, but have not seen any yet.

I did spray some "liquid fence" around the plant a week ago to deter deer, not sure if this works on insects or not. It did rain though recently, so I will be spraying some more tonight.

Also my tomato plants are planted right next to them and they are fine. I also have another patch of pepper plants nearby and they are fine too.

Any thoughts on what this is and how to deal with it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
perrynewbegining

Something has been eating our peppers as well. And our green beans, but leaving our peas and tomatoes alone. We had a problem with slugs but they seem to eat long lines in the leaves, and theese are holes. Planted one pepper this morning, in and out of the garden all day long and it has small holes in it already!!!!

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 7:18PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Your posted pics are classic slug damage and wood chip mulch in the garden is notorious for them. Not sure what Perry means by "they seem to eat long lines in the leaves" unless he/she is referring to leaf miners.

Dave

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 7:34PM
minal(6)

Yes, they were slugs. I went to Lowes to buy some Sluggo, but the sales rep recommended a small plastic cup and some beer. Worked great. I dug a small hole, placed the plastic cup (it was actually a small plastic pot base (38 cents each from lowes). The cup was level with the ground, filled it will beer half way. The next morning there were tiny slugs floating in the beer. Just though of posting this solution, in case someone else had the same problem.

Minal

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 1:26PM
civ_IV_fan

this is exactly how my pepper plants look. will try the beer thing tomorrow. i've also heard coffee grounds work, but i don't have any.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 1:41PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Coffee grounds don't work. Use a cheap beer like that swill they advertise every 4.3 seconds on TV, don't waste a good microbrew.

Dan

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 2:09PM
dwheat9003

Had excellent results using this D E, but now of course this is important (you don't want to make dust fly and breath this stuff in) as it wouldn't be good for your lungs. I've used it around young corn plants that Cut Worms love to snip off at close to ground level. Now, once the corn plants get to around 3 inches tall then the cut worms can't get through the tougher stalks at this point, just birds want to pluck em next. As with respect to the Green Pepper plants you'll just have to keep using it and the slugs get cut up crawling through the Diatomaceous Earth, this stops them very well so they don't crawl up the plants an do all the damage.

Here's a link to article about D E.
http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Diatomaceous Earth

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
hand pollinate broccolini?
Thanks to you guys, I realized that I bought Broccoli...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
pepper with Brown spots
I researched about this disease and it says that a...
keyki5
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™